Chapter Ten: Second Biggest Shock

“Are you sure you don’t want to give you a ride home?” Sarah asked for the billionth time today.

“Its fine mother,” I said in a joking matter. “I’ll have one of my parents pick me up, and anyways I left my bag in my locker.”

“Okay Miss Sarcastic, I’ll see you Monday!” Sarah said.

I nodded closing the door. As she drove her Red Toyota Corolla and drove out of the schools parking lot. I waved as her car sped off.

After we had celebrated her making it to the top five in the talent show we went to Cold Stone for ice cream to celebrate afterwards she wanted to drive me home but I told her I needed to get my bag from my locker and anyways I couldn’t let her drive me home anyways.

I hummed to myself quietly as I made my way down the deserted hallway. I spun the dial of my locker quickly opening it and grabbing my book bag.

I dug inside my bag to retrieve my phone. I flipped through the contacts to search for my mother’s number. I clicked call button as I patiently waited for her to answer the phone.

“Hello?”  I heard my mom’s voice from the other end.

“Hey mom, I am at school could you send someone to pick me up?” I would’ve asked her but my mom doesn’t drive anymore, a lot changed when my dad became President.

“Um, sure honey I’ll send one of the bodyguards. Where are you at the moment?”

“School,” I answered back.

“Okay, they’ll be there shortly. Love you be safe.” I heard her say from the other end. I responded with a quick love you too not before hanging up the phone.

“Nerd?” I spun around to see Gavin walking towards me, “What are you still doing here?” He asked his eyebrows knitted in confusion.

“I forgot my bag in my locker,” I said holding up my bag. “What are you doing here?”

He shrugged, “Wasting time, I didn’t feel like going home.”

“Oh,” I said not knowing how to respond.

“Yeah,” He said stuffing his hands into his pocket. “So who were you on the phone with?”

“Were you eavesdropping?” I asked in disbelief.

“No, I was silently listening from a far and anyways it’s not my fault you talk so loud.” He said.

I grumbled profanities under my breath praying that Gavin didn’t hear the whole conversation. I continued walking towards the exit silently when Gavin spoke up. “The little red head chick did well in the talent show.”

“The red head’s name is Sarah,” I snapped.

He raised his hand in surrender. “I am sorry if I don’t know everyone’s name.”

I sighed keeping quiet. Today hasn’t been the best day for me and Gavin is just making it even worse. “Why are you here?” I asked opening the door and stepping outside, taking in the February weather.

“I told you that already,” He pointed out.

I rolled my eyes. “No, why are you here with me if I remember correctly you have a girlfriend.” I said distastefully.

“Ashley’s not my girlfriend she is just someone I play around with.” He said his brown eyes gazing up at the blue sky.

“Wow,” I told him in disbelief.