Chapter 5

**This is quite long so set some time aside :p** 

As I pace the hallway, my silver heels clicking across the hard wood floor, I regret my choice in companion again. I know it will cause some sort of stir, and I guess I knew that when I asked him, but last thing I really want is to be centre of attention. Especially not tonight. There is no avoiding it now, I’ve made my bed all that is left to do is lie in it. I fiddle with the hem of my dress and check the clock on the wall six forty five; he should be here any minute.

Nervously I stroke the material of my dress straightening the sky blue fabric, and turn in the mirror to make sure that it hasn’t rolled up or settled in a funny way. The bodice is strapless and has a sweetheart neckline, it is the colour of a bright cloudless sky and has small diamantes in the shape of flowers decorated across it, there is a silk blue bow across the middle which leads to a loose skirt that flows down to tickle my skin mid-thigh and float around me like a cloud, the skirt also consists of diamantes that sparkle in the hall lights. Looking up I check my make-up and make sure my hair is still in a presentable state, I hadn’t done anything fancy to it but just let it wave naturally and added a few curls around my face.

I am more nervous and worked up then I should be, I have a feeling this formal ball has caused more butterflies in my stomach then the fighting will. Anxiously I apply another layer of lip-gloss to my already shiny lips and lick off the excess so the taste of toffee explodes across my taste buds. As I savour the flavour the doorbell rings and in terror I turn to face the direction that my date will be standing in, separated from me by a piece of dark wood, I attempt to make my make across the hall but my feet won’t move, the bell rings again.

“Scarlett, that will be your date, answer it!” My mum calls from the lounge but I can hear her picking herself up out of her chair. As I stand frozen to the spot she walks into the hallway. “What are you doing?” I shake my head to clear away the haziness.

“Making sure I have everything.” I lie smoothly. She gives me a funny look but turns to open the door anyway, taking a deep breath I walk up slowly behind her as she swings the door open only to be caught speechless herself. I hadn’t told her who my date was going to be; no matter how much of a fuss she put up about it.

“Good evening Mrs Evans.” Hunter says whilst lowering his head respectfully. Then his gaze turns to me. “Lett… Scarlett you look beautiful.” I beam from ear to ear.

“You don’t look so bad yourself, you look pretty handsome to be honest.” It is no word of a lie, except maybe the ‘pretty’ bit, that was an understatement he looks exceedingly handsome. His honey coloured curls frame his face and creep over the collar of his crisp white shirt, a black bow tie sits at the hollow of his throat and the combination of that and the dinner jacket make him look as old as his brother. The jacket is tailored to perfection and emphasises his broad shoulders and arms, he looks expensive from head to shiny leather covered foot.

“Good evening Master Miller.” My mum finally spits out using his formal title. “George, come and say hello to Scar’s date.” My mum calls. “And bring the camera I want a picture of my baby all dressed up… it doesn’t happen very often.” She says the last part more to herself but I blush anyway and roll my eyes mouthing ‘sorry’ to Hunter, I don’t know how long this photo shoot will last. He just shakes his head and shrugs his shoulders mouthing ‘parents’ back at me.

“Please Mrs Evans call me Hunter.” He replies smoothly to my mum and she nods her head.

“Please call me Hope.” She replies as my dad bustles through the door baring his favourite weapon… the camera. He stops in his tracks when his eyes meet Hunter’s.

“Master Miller, what a surprise. I didn’t know that you knew Scar.” My father gives me a quick look and I shrug my shoulders at him, he’s never been interested in who my friends are so it never seemed relevant.