Chapter 30

The weekend had been a blur of restless sleep and trips to visit Gray at the pack house and honestly the whole experience was exhausting and I was actually looking forward to this day off from it all. Gray, although still sore, has been doing well; his bones are healing, his bruising is pretty much gone and he’s joking again. His body has fared better than my arm and he won’t have the risk of permanent damage as long as he stays in bed for the next few weeks; something that he has no problem doing. Some people have all the luck.

I’d heard my parents leave for the pack house early this morning and instead of going back to sleep I had used the time to have a bath, a luxury I hadn’t treated myself to in a while. This early morning, however, isn’t just to treat myself. I need to make myself look halfway human and even, if possible, decent, because today is the day of another one-on-one with my future Alpha.

I had been quite shocked yesterday when I had received a text simply saying Tomorrow 11:30 from Liam, this is the first time he has actually arranged this thing properly and not just either turned up or just expected me to be somewhere. Yet as much as I am looking forward to this I know that this one-on-one will be different, not because of me and him or what happened the other night, but because it will be monitored, we will be monitored. I have no doubt that Alpha Miller will stick to his word and have someone near, watching and listening, throughout the day and this lack of privacy will restrict us in what we say and will make me self-conscious in how I act. The thought makes me uncomfortable and actually really angry, these one-on-ones were his idea in the first place.

As 11:30 gets closer the butterflies in my stomach start to take flight and grow into bats, a sensation that I am getting used to when it comes to Liam. I sit in front of my mirror moving my hair from one shoulder to the other, every now and then adjusting my make-up and generally rethinking my outfit. I had gotten into the habit of wearing dresses around Liam recently but today the sky has clouded over and rain threatens, so I’ve opted for jeans and t-shirt (which admittedly has a low V-neck) each item was actually a nightmare to get on with one arm but I’m slowly getting used to being down a limb. At 11:28 I pull on my converse and the rumble of an engine, the range rover, reverberates down my street.

I barely make it halfway down the stairs before there is a knock on the door but when I open it, it isn’t Liam stood on the other side but a security guy. In fact it is the same guy that took me to my unexpected meeting with Alpha Miller. He doesn’t say a word to me and we stand for a second just looking at each other before he turns to start the walk back down the driveway towards the waiting car; which is in fact the intimidating silver Range Rover. I watch him go before, with a sigh, turning to lock up the house. As I make my own way towards the car I feel extremely self-conscious, I can feel eyes on me and it’s only made worse by the dark silhouettes I can see within the car, but I hold my head up high and with every step fight the feeling to sprint back to the safety of my own home.

As I get closer the front passenger door opens and Harry slides out, in his trademark black clothes and sunglasses. It doesn’t take me long to miss his brown, golden flecked, eyes, the expressive eyes that I have learnt to read, due to his sunglasses I have no idea what he is thinking or how he is feeling. “Hi.” I say sheepishly with a slight wave, that probably looked more dorky than anything.

“Scarlett.” He says with a nod before reaching for the backdoor of the car and opening it for me. So that’s it? He is still angry at me for the other day, for making him lie to his Alpha, and who can blame him? I’ve put him in an awkward and possibly damaging situation, especially if the lie is found out. So taking my punishment I scramble in, a task that isn’t easy with such a big car and not enough hands.  

When the door clicks behind me it takes away the fresh air, the sound of nature and also the feeling of space, I feel trapped, and what makes it worse is that the two gentlemen sat in the seats in front of me seem to not be very happy with me. I know that nothing bad is going to happen but I can’t help but feel nervous and because of this my heartbeat picks up slightly. That’s when the leather seat next to me shifts and Liam’s hand squeezes my knee reassuringly.