Chapter 3

Waking up to the sound of my alarm clock causes me to groan as that means the five hours sleep that I had been reduced to is over. I roll over and hit the button, with a little more force than really necessary, that makes that awful noise stop and throw my covers away from me sliding out of bed and making my way to the bathroom. Getting out of bed is like ripping off a plaster, it needs to be done quickly, otherwise you’ll chicken out or cause yourself excess pain.

There is also another reason for my eagerness, this will be the first time, since the pack meeting on Friday, that so many of the girls expected to compete will be in the same place and I’m sure the competition for the Alpha’s son is going to be on everyone’s lips, not only that but this week will also be the last week of school that I am expected to attend before the first stage in the competition. Personally I’d rather be in a classroom then learning to fight but no one asked me what I wanted. With a towel still wrapped around my damp hair I pull on a white button up shirt and a pair of leggings, adding a thick black belt, around my middle and pulling on my converse. A quick glance over my shoulder at the clock tells me that I am running late, as usual, and throwing the towel to the ground I pull a brush through my thick and knotted hair wincing in the process. I don’t have time to apply much make-up but I make sure that I paint some mascara onto my lashes before leaving my room.

“Nearly ready Scar?” Gray asks as I run past him and down the stairs.

“Yep, with time to spare.” I call behind me before crashing through the kitchen door. The smell of toast bombards my sense and my stomach growls in appreciation as I grab the fresh pieces popping out of the toaster, the thought that maybe the slices belong to Gray filters across my mind before I stuff one into my mouth, shrugging the thought away as I do so, he will have had half a loaf already so he won’t miss one piece. The kitchen is quiet but then it always is since the parents have left by this time dad to work and mum to whatever she does all day. I sit at the table and munch thoughtfully on the hot toast trying to picture what school is going to be like today.

As Gray switches of the engine of our joint black Volvo C70 convertible, which we take turns to drive, I scan the crowds of kids, we are a large pack but not large enough to merit a separate high school and college, so we attend the sixth form. There are kids aged from twelve to nineteen slowly making their way towards the large glass fronted building that is the school. The younger children run around in their smart white shirts and dark blue blazers whilst we can wear our own clothes as a sign of respect and superiority to the younger ones. Hitching my bag onto my shoulder I sigh and then take a deep breath in preparation, Gray slings a comforting arm around my shoulder and smiles weakly down at me.

“Just remember that they are all in the same boat, you are not in this alone.” I nod my head and we begin the slow journey to registration.

“Will you be eighteen?”, “This is so exciting.”, “What is Alpha Miller thinking?”, “Is there any way out of this?” Are just some of the many glimpses of conversation I catch as I enter the classroom, the atmosphere buzzing as people gossip all around me. I dump my bag on my desk and look around the room, at the back, surrounding one of the desks, I recognise the group that I know I belong to, they are the miserable looking ones that I call my friends, and it is obvious that all of us have the same opinion on the turn of events. I walk up and throw my arm around Mandy’s shoulders and weakly smile at the group. As I step into the circle I acknowledge the four girls, other than Mandy, all of which I know to be eighteen and three of the guys from our class that have joined my regular group.

“So what do we all think?” I ask delicately addressing the group.

Summer flicks her long blonde hair over her shoulder and scowls delicately, her brow furrowing in the middle of her dark blue eyes which are cold, smart and calculating. “The Royals have gone too far.” She states using the nickname we have for the Alpha family. “It’s ridiculous and completely unnecessary,” I sigh as I realise I have set her off on one of her famous rants “talk about your ‘collateral damage’, I know the rules for this farce and I know that there are some psycho bitches that were in the year above us that will be competing… and trust me they won’t fight fair. Some of us won’t make it out alive.” She says this with anger radiating off her small frame, but it doesn’t make her any less attractive, in fact it strangely just increases her good looks as her eyes glow and her posture straightens.