Chapter 24

When I get outside of the pack house my car is waiting in the driveway. The top is down and Gray is leaning against the driver’s door basking in the sun, dark sunglasses covering his eyes so I have no idea if he has seen me. In the back of the car Will is sprawled across the seats with his feet hanging over the side, his black hair blends in with the car as his reclines his head tanning his face.

 “This is a surprise.” I call from the doorstep. Gray removes his glasses and throws them onto the backseat of the car hitting Will in the stomach who grunts and shifts positions. Gray turns back to me opening his arms for a hug which I gratefully slide into.

“I figured if it was horrible news you’d rather be with family then in one of the Miller’s many cars with one of the Miller’s many staff members.” He ruffles my hair and squeezes me tight.

“Then why’d you bring him?” I ask jokingly. Will grunts and climbs out of the car without opening the door.

“Because I’m family doofus.” He says pulling me into another hug.

“I can’t get rid of him today.” Gray grumbles not meaning what he is saying.

“How did you know when I would be out of there?”

“I didn’t, we left twenty minutes after you did and just waited.” The rush of love I feel for my brother is nearly overwhelming and I leave Will’s side to squeeze my brother. “So what happened?” I frown up at him.

“It’s horrible news.” I state. “My arm needs at least two months to heal properly, I have one.”

“Oh Scar.” He pulls me against his chest and I get the feeling that this is the point where I am meant to sob and cry because there is nothing that I can do about my fate, but I don’t. I have made a decision and I feel stronger for it. “Are you okay?” He looks down at me holding me at arm’s length like I am a time bomb that could go off at any second.

“I’m fine Gray, I didn’t expect good news so I’ve prepared myself for this. It wasn’t a shock.” Making my way around our car I slide into the sun warmed passenger seat.

“Spoken like a true tough chick.” Will chimes in settling himself back onto the back seat.

“Shouldn’t you two be in college?” I ask suspiciously. Gray shrugs his shoulders as he puts the car in gear. “You don’t want to have to re-sit it again do you Will?” I tease, he may be a year older than us but last year he had placed too much emphasis on Rugby and not enough on his actual classes.

“This is the last week before Summer Scar, nobody cares anymore.”

“The only important thing now is Friday’s game.” Will shouts from the back excitedly, the wind whipping away most but not all of the sound as we drive down the main road. “You’re coming right?” He asks leaning into the gap between mine and Gray’s seats.

“Yeah Scar, it’s the last of the season and the final, if we win we get a trophy and we aren’t losing to the Clayton pack team. No way.”

“They are supposed to be the most powerful pack in the country but come on, there women can’t shift until they are mated! Can you imagine that Scar? What if you never found your mate?” Will looks horrified at the idea on the behalf of women shifters and I can’t help but laugh. Sadly though that is the truth for some shifters, the way I see it is lions and tigers are both cats but they are extremely different animals in their own right, that’s us, somewhere down the line evolution took a different route with some of us and I’m glad to be on this side of it.

“I don’t know guys they’re pretty good if I recall all the times they have won.” I poke.

“But we’re at an advantage this time, I’ve done some digging and, luckily for us, their Beta’s daughter is depressed or something, it’s thrown the whole pack off.”