Chapter 23

Silently I walk through the pack house, on the heels of an unknown security member, I start to feel nervous about what is to come. I am about to have an x-ray, the results of which could determine the rest of life, and that is a scary thought. What if I can never be like a normal shifter again? Of course in my mind the worst has occurred and I am already angry at myself for causing long lasting damage and ruining my own future. Not even the opulent surroundings of the pack house can distract me today, even though I am walking through an area I have never been in before.

My surroundings don’t change but all of a sudden the smell in the air does. All of a sudden my nose burns with the strong stench of disinfectant; this must be where Elizabeth hangs out.

I’m let into a large bright room, where the smell of disinfectant is strongest, everything is white and it blinds me for a second. The first thing I notice when my eyes adjust is that the room is in a L-shape. Along the back wall, where the windows are situated, are a number of hospital beds complete with curtains to block out the rest of the room. In one is a guy, maybe in his twenties, reclining and talking to the Doc. She makes a motion to indicate she’ll come see me in moment. I take the opportunity to further investigate the room to satisfy my own curiosity and to give them as much privacy as possible. Across from the beds is where the room opens up into another rectangle shape and has all the properties of a lab space, this would have been where Mandy’s dad came up with all his best theories and tested them out. Half of the equipment I wouldn’t be able to name let alone use but I do recognise things like a microscope and a centrifuge.

Walking amongst the counters I bend over one to look into the microscope.

“You won’t see much through that.” I jump about a mile as Elizabeth has managed to creep up on me and is stood in my personal space. She takes a step back with a grin on her face. “There isn’t anything there.” I blush slightly since to her I must have looked silly looking at nothing. “How’s the arm?”

“Well thanks to you and your meds there isn’t any pain, but it is really annoying not being able to do anything with it. My mum has had to help with everything.”

“Good. So you haven’t used it?”

“You gave me strict instructions and I followed them.” I say mock saluting her with my good arm.

“Good. I have an x-ray room just across the hall so shall we get this over a done with?” I nod but even to myself I know I look reluctant. “Look, I’m not going to say that everything is going to be okay because it is in pretty bad shape, I wouldn’t lie to you, you are smarter than that. But I do believe that once you know, either way, you’ll feel better.” I make a move to argue but she stops me in my tracks. “Once you know you can plan for it, there will be no ifs or buts you’ll be able to decide the best root for you.” I nod my head resigned to her logic.

“Okay. Lead the way.” I follow her back to the door where the guy who had brought me here still stands. Elizabeth nods her head in acknowledgement before addressing him.

“It’s all right, this will take at least 15 minutes for the x-ray and then we’re going to have to have a chat and maybe plaster it. Deliver the message and come back in half an hour.” The big guy nods his head and leaves holding the door open for us on his way out.

“Message?”

“Nothing to worry about, follow me.” I find her words less than reassuring, something is happening.

She leads me out of the L-shaped room and back into the corridor, walking back the way I had come we stop at a door on the other side to the L-shaped wing. “Before we go in there and start the whole getting ready process I have to ask you a few questions alright?” I nod my head for her to continue. “Do you have any jewellery on that wrist or anything metal that could distort the image?” I shake my head. “Is there a possibility that you might be pregnant?”