Chapter 33

The following Monday it was back to business. I only had until Wednesday to get focused and to get my head back into things. Too much had happened in the last month and I had almost forgotten what lay ahead. So with that in mind by half nine on Monday morning I was in a part of the pack woods that I have never seen before with my dad and his fifteen recruits.

The patter of a light rain shower can be heard as it drizzles onto the tree tops and drips between the canopy of the leaves and I retreat further into my raincoat, already mourning the loss of the sun. Now that we are nearing the end of the summer months the weather has started to make a turn for the worst and rain has been predicted for the whole week.

For a trained shifter this shouldn’t be a problem but for an injured one it does pose a few more issues, landscapes become harder to navigate and the ground becomes more unstable as the water softens it. Having only gained my shifting ability back in May I have only had practice with these conditions once or twice before the summer took over, nothing seems to be working in my favour at the moment.

True to his word my Dad has the recruits training in wolf form. It’s amazing to see the stealth they all possess and also what they can do with it, especially the girls, who are larger than normal wolves but smaller than the men of our species, and are kicking ass in the one on one battles. I wish I knew which wolf was my new friend Abi Powell but since there isn’t a wolf with peroxide blonde fur I have no way of telling one female from the next. The more fights that take place in the make shift, marked out fighting ring the harder it gets for the recruits as the conditions worsen until the patch of ground that used to slightly green basically just looks like a bog or maybe just the ground of a wet festival.

As much as I enjoy watching the training session it soon became apparent that I am not going to actually learn anything today, moves are being performed too fast and with all the mud sticking to the group’s fur it is impossible to tell where one wolf ends and the next begins. Nevertheless I stand there, leaning against a tree, and watch. But I just can’t stop fidgeting.

My dad is in full work mode shouting commands and directions and the majority of the trainees listen to what he has to say and adjust to accommodate his recommendations. However, I can see my dad getting frustrated when the odd person ignores him, and even from where I stand I can see which members of the team aren’t going to make it to guarding the Alpha family, call it a hunch or maybe it’s just in my genes.

As the morning wares on various wolves go up against each other and in the end I sit down on the roots of the tree I had chosen to lean against, with my head resting in the palm of my good hand and my bad arm tucked up against me. By the time my dad has a second to tear his attention away from his work he can probably tell that I am not exactly as enthusiastic as him.

“Are you okay Scar?” He asks crouching down in front of me.

“Fine.” I say with my best attempt at a smile.

“Bored?” Warily I nod my head.

“There’s not much to see Dad.” I answer honestly.

“How does watching them make you feel?” I think about that, when my dad asks a question there is usually a reason for it and I know that the answer won’t just be as simple as bored. At first I don’t think I feel anything but then as I really put my mind to it I can tell that there is something there.

“I feel… restless and like I’m itching to get out of this body and into the body of my wolf.” He nods his head.

“I’ve noticed that in you too. You can’t sit still to save your life and your head is all over the place.” If I was going to confess to anything I’d say that my head being in the clouds was probably due to the things that have happened recently, but I just nod. “This in itself you can use to your advantage.” He stands up straight and holds his hand out for me to take.