Chapter 31

The words “When you win.” are still echoing around my head three days later. It wasn’t long ago that he was arguing against me going back into the woods, at that point he was adamant that I wasn’t going to come out alive, that my arm would mean I wouldn’t have a chance against the others. What changed? A couple of thoughts spring to mind: A) he has complete faith in me and my abilities (somehow I doubt it, but who knows). B) he is trying to lighten the mood and avoid the large elephant that follows us around or C) he is deluding himself, he wants to believe that I will okay, so in his head it’s a done deal, I’m going to win. I don’t know which thought makes me feel the saddest but I know that option C is potentially the most dangerous for Liam.

I push my thoughts a side as my dad puts the car into park outside the pack house doors, today is not about Liam or me, today is about Gray. It has been a week since the rugby match and due to our accelerated healing Gray is doing really well. So well that Elizabeth has decided we can bring him home, under strict instructions to take his medication, call if anything happens and not to move out of bed unless he has someone to help him. He is just as glad to be leaving this place as we are to have him come home.

We walk in quiet excitement towards Elizabeth’s section of the grand house and when we arrive Gray is sat in a wheelchair talking to the Doc, ready to go.

“Hey guys.” Elizabeth says in greeting. “I was just going over the rules one more time. If he doesn’t follow them he will have to come straight back here.” It’s a real threat but is presented with a smile.

“We’ll make sure that he is on his best behaviour.” My mum says running her fingers through Gray’s hair and causing him to roll his eyes.

“At least until he is fully recovered.” My dad says with a wink. I’d be embarrassed at my family’s behaviour if I wasn’t so happy to be getting my brother back. Being twins we have pretty much always been together and the past week has been a strange and also lonely experience.

“What’s up sis you look troubled.” Gray points out causing everyone to look at me.

“I’m fine. Just thinking how much I’m going to miss soul custody of the car when you’re better.” He laughs and it’s good to hear, I’ve missed his easy going nature.

“Shall we get out of here then?” Dad interrupts. “I’m sure Elizabeth has much more interesting things to do then listen to us.”

“Oh that’s not true. I love your family Mr Evans, your children are my favourite patients.” There is an awkward silence as we all wish that neither Gray or myself had ever been patients at all. Elizabeth is the one to break it “But I’m sure Gray really wants to get home, before he is subjected to my singing again.”

Getting out of the pack house proved be a harder task then I would have imagined. Dad was up front pushing Gray in his wheelchair whilst my mother and I followed behind; the difficult part was that we couldn’t get very far without being stopped. It turns out that in Gray’s brief stay here he had made a lot of friends, I can’t quite get my head round it since he was unconscious or sleeping for most of it. What is more surprising though is that the majority of these friends are faces I recognise from my time around the Alpha family, this is because they are the serving security members that have accompanied me around this house or on my one-on-ones.

When we get to the front door we have to stop as the steps down pose a problem, however with the help of some of Gray’s new friends a solution is found and I can’t stop myself from laughing as he is carried down to ground level, chair and all, like an emperor, on the shoulders of some pretty large guys. They guys make a huge fuss and really drag the moment out. Needless to say that by the time we get to the car our procession has attracted a bit of attention and we’re surrounded by more faces I recognise, men and women in grey, security recruits, and among them is Hunter.