Chapter 16

As soon as I walked through the door to my own house Gray descended.

“Fun night?” Decked out in usual weekend outfit of grey sweatpants and baggy t-shirt he leans casually against the kitchen doorframe propped up by one arm.

“Was alright, were you there?” I bend down to take my shoes off and to hide my worried expression as I pray to God that he wasn’t, I have never been as drunk as I was last night and that is something I don’t want my family to know about.

“Nah, I had rugby training till late and then I just couldn’t be bothered.” He shrugs his shoulders. “Will’s in the other room by the way.” Will is Gray’s best friend, rugby captain and our frequent houseguest.

“Oh cool. Hi Will.” I don’t bother calling out to him I just address him like he is stood in the hallway, he can hear me.

“Hey Scar. I was at the party… by the way.” I can hear him heave his large frame of our sofa and his feet pad across the floor in the direction of the door. I flush red and Gray raises an eyebrow. “I’m not as lazy as your brother.” Will leans against the lounge doorframe in a perfect imitation of my brother, and I get the feeling that I am being caged into one corner of the hallway, his short black hair sticks up like hedgehog prickles his green eyes sparkle, and a knowing grin tilts at the edge of his mouth. I laugh at Gray’s expense ignoring the Will’s knowing gaze.

“No you just can’t miss the chance of hooking up.” I retort knowing full well that Will is always a perfect gentleman and actually the opposite of a certain other shifter I know.

“You know me well.” He chuckles picking up the joke.

“Where are mum and dad?” The house is unusually quiet for a Saturday.

“Shopping, much to dad’s horror.” I smile in understanding; I must get my hatred of shopping from him. Gray turns back to Will. “You haven’t cheated and un-paused the game have you?” I sigh in relief as the conversation seems to be changing. Will looks offended and turns to walk back into the lounge but Gray makes no move to follow him and simply grins at his friend’s incapability to take a joke that implies he cheats at anything. “Blue suits you by the way Scar.” Will says over his shoulder as he takes his first few steps back into the lounge, I frown at his back.

“Don’t be a perv Will.” He scoffs and turns back retracing his steps and once again filling the doorway.

“How is that even possible? I’m only a year older than you both.” He raises an eyebrow at me in challenge.

“Admiring from afar.” I state. “That’s stalker-ish behaviour. I know for a fact that I never saw you last night, a decent guy would have come and said hi.” I stress the word decent and he frowns.

“I like to call it observing, saw you leave with Master Miller, what’s going on there?” My heart sinks, he didn’t mean to but Will has really stuck me in it now. I groan but I can’t be angry at him, he had no idea that I told Gray I was at Mandy’s. Gray growls.

“Mandy’s house huh?” Will’s eyes widen in understanding and I frown at him, he mouths sorry and takes a step back into the lounge out of the firing line, chicken. Gray takes a step towards me and inhales, his frown deepens as he know doubt detects the scent of Hunter and the pack house lingering on me and my clothing.

“Gray, don’t jump to conclusions. I was drunk and I passed out so he took me to his.” His face turns red and when I replay that in my head it doesn’t sound good does it? “Wait.” I put my hands up in a stop motion and also in panic. “He didn’t want to bring me here because he thought I’d get in trouble. I stayed in his room and he took the couch.” I rush the sentence out, he takes a breath. “That’s it. Nothing happened and he didn’t take advantage of me in anyway.” I do think back to the fact that he undressed me but there is no way in hell that I am going to bring that up.