five

Rosa

"Ready to see your new self sweetheart?" Darcy asked holding the back handles of the chair with excitment in her voice. I nodded nervously. "When I say open your eyes you open 'em ya' hear?"

I nodded again as she spun my chair around.

"Open." I looked into the mirror she was grinning widely behind me then I saw myself.

Astonishment covered my features for a second I actually felt pretty; like a little girl.

I loved my hair. I loved it. I smiled into the mirror.

"You like?" She asked hopefully.

"Love." I finished for her. I got up and hugged her.

"That's great sweetie I'm glad." She hugged me back, "Go look pretty for what's his name Sally?" She asked.

"Sam." I laughed and broke the hug. "But how much do I owe you?"

"On the house." She winked.

"Thank you so much." I thanked and made my way back to the hotel.

-

It took two hours for everyone to get back to the hotel well I mean for the show to finish from the time I reached the hotel.

I was still in the sweats and t-shirt I had taken shopping when Mahogany burst through the door out of breath. Did she run? I texted her earlier telling her I was finished but didn't send a photo.

I'm not really good at taking 'selfies'.

"Show me!" She screeched.

I stood up lazily. I was laying down.

"Turn."

I groaned.

"You look amazing." She admired. I turned around to face her?

"Really?" I bit my lip.

"Yes!"

My smile was small but grateful.

"Okay now let's get you something to wear!" She started rumaging the shopping bags from earlier as I sat calmly on my bed.

"This? No." She spoke to herself. "How about---nah."

"We're going to the movies remember?" I laughed at her.

"Yeah I know. I think I found something cute!" She hollered in victory. It was the high waisted shorts with the black belt and a light washed button-up. "Oh and these!" She handed my white shoes called 'Dr Martens'. They had black laces.

"Are you sure about this?" I looked at the clothes cautiously. I was mainly asking mysef this question.

Do I wanna do this?

Mahogany noticed my cautiousness and sat next to me. She placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey. You don't have to do this." She cooed.

I shook my head. "No, I'm doing this."

I strode to the rest room threw on the clothes and stared in the mirror. I nodded to myself.

I felt proud of myself in this with new hair. If people don't like the change they can piss off because I wanted this and they shouldn't care anyway.

In the sports I've played determination gets you places. I plan on going somewhere far, but good.

With a new attitude I walked out of that restroom door like I was getting the Heisman trophy. Like I was getting an Oscar. Like I was on the runway of that model show with Tyra Banks. I felt proud of myself. I'm gonna keep my head held high.