Fifty: The Bridge

Queen Frigga is sitting at her husbands bedside, watching over him in his sleep trance. She hugs his still hand tightly. She wishes him to wake up and put an end to all this madness and bring the realms back into alliance. The last time he left for so long to travel Midgard, Odin's brothers stepped into his place and all fell to chaos. Her sons are not ready to take the throne, both have proven that. Both are still far too young, immature, naive, and stubborn in their ways much like their father.

But she was left with no choice.

One of Odin's brothers lives on Vanaheim in solitude, and the other no one has seen for eons.

There is a soft commotion outside the doors. She hears her guards grunting and metal slamming together... then silence. Frigga's heart is pounding. She grabs a sword from the bedside and draws it. The chamber doors burst open with a flash of freezing black ice and wind that swept over the room in one fell swop. The Queen is tossed across the room and her body falls to the ground unmoving.

The King of Jotunheim enters the resting chamber of Odin. A cold chill swept over the golden chamber as the Jotun stepped in. His beady eyes glare over the resting body of the All-Father as he approached the bed. "Look at you." he said, towing over the bed. "A once feared and great king laying helpless in his bed. I wonder if you can hear me?" Laufey passes through the dome surrounding the bed.

"Alas, revenge is sweet, All-Father. I just want you to know that your death came by the hand of Laufey." The Jotnar raised his hands above his head as an icicle formed.

Then a voice,

"And your death came by the son of Odin."

Laufey flung back shocked to hear a second voice at the doors. He turns to face Loki aiming a golden spear at him. A flash of confusion comes across Laufey's blue features. Loki tilted the spear and a flash shot across the room hitting the Jotnar square in the chest and in that instance his body turns to ash. Loki sets down the spear looking at the pile of ash on the floor then back to his father in bed.

Vali appeared suddenly and bolted down the steps into the chamber and to his grandmothers side instantly. He checked over her, trying to see if she was okay. She made little sounds like quick gasps and sobs. Frigga sits up looking around and her eyes shot to her son. "Loki!" Frigga rises to her feet with the steady help of Vali, and she runs over to him. "You saved him!" Loki embraced his mother in a tight hug.

Frigga opens her eyes over Loki's shoulder and she see's Sigyn there in the doorway. Her blue eyes watered over and her lips touched tight. Loki pulled away from the hug and Sigyn disappeared behind his large figure. "I swear to you, mother." he looked her dead in the eye. "They will pay for what they have done today."

Sigyn walks forward. The smell of burnt charcoal tickles her nose and chilled bumps rise on her skin. The princess finds a presence familiar to her appear from behind. She looks at her son standing where he helped his grandmother - and his eyes blew wide.

"Loki." a rough voice bellowed.

Sigyn turned and there stood Thor in his glory. Armoured attire and hammer in hand again. "Thor?" Sigyn was astonished to see him again.

"Uncle!" Vali happily greeted. A sense of relief and happiness made the room grow a tinge brighter at the returned sight of the god of thunder. Although Vali was still upset about his actions on Jotunheim he had never been more happy to see his beloved uncle.

But the expression on Thor's face never wavered. He did not greet his family or smile. His eyes are focused on his brother and his brother alone. Even when Frigga pushed away from Loki and ran into the arms of her eldest son, his eyes kept on Loki as he embraced her tightly.