Thirty Eight: Casket of Ancient Winters

A cold chill swept over them. Goosebumps littered their skin and shivers ran up their spines. The cold was different to the breeze of the wind or a cool drink. This penetrated the layers of their clothes just enough that they felt it. It was harsh. Not like the gentle caress of a summers day, but a harsh winters night. It settled on the floor and the mist could be seen seeping out from beneath the vault doors.

Odin rammed into the vault doors and sent them flying open. The cold blew out. Two Einherjar bodies lay dead and frozen over with ice.

All that are left of the Frost Giants are limbs and chunks of their blue flesh. And where their limbs rest frost particles decorate the floor and walls from the blast that they took from the Destroyer. Black marks cascaded sharply across the vault walls.

Odin's treasures are untouched.

The Destroyer steps back into its wall and iron bars reappear again.

He descended into his vault. His sons and warriors behind him.

"The Destroyer!" exclaimed Volstagg. "I thought it was a myth."

This incited Odin to remember there are others around him. "Leave us." He commanded. They all left by his demand, but for his sons and Princess Sigyn. She can feel the cold nipping at her bare arms. She shivered.

"The Jotun's must pay for what they have done!" Thor said, firmly pointing his hammer at the limbs of the giants.

"They have paid." Odin replied. He gazed down on the casket of winters that sat on a pedestal at the very back of the vault. It glows a soft blue with the imminent threat of eternal winters. The Destroyer's cage directly behind it. "With their lives. The Destroyer did its work. The Casket is safe and all is well."

Thor scoffed at this. "All is well?" his voice bounced off the walls. "They broke into the weapons vault. If the Frost Giants had even stolen one of these relics..."

"But they didn't." Odin raised his voice.

"I want to know why!"

Sigyn shifted, she stopped just before the black scorch marks staining the floor and walls. It is common for Odin to argue with his sons, but having to stand here while they bickered, while Jotuns or what is left of them, are scattered across the vault is awkward. Odin preaches of peace. This is not peace.

"I have a truce with Laufey, King of Jotunheim." replied Odin. His tone still steady and calm.

"He just broke your truce!" exclaimed Thor, pointing once more to the dead Jotuns. "They know you're vulnerable."

"What action would you take?" he asked.

Loki remained silent with a brow raised, looking back and forth.

"March into Jotunheim. Teach them a lesson. Break their sprits so that they may never try to cross our borders again."

"You're thinking only as a warrior."

"It was an act of war!"

"It was an act of but a feud." said Odin. "Doomed to fail."

"Look how far they got." stressed Thor, flailing his arms. His hammer swinging.

"We will find the breach in our defenced and it will be sealed."

"As King of Asgard..." before Thor could get the next word out, the thunderous mighty voice of Odin stopped him short. Startling even his own son.

"But you are not king!" he roared. "Not yet."

The vault became chilly and silent once more. Thor's eyes moved around the room. His mouth opening and then closing. His fist tightened and then unclenching. When Odin saw there was nothing more to debate he moved past them.

Thor is also quick to leave soon after.

"There is nothing you can say?" asked Sigyn, standing with Loki.

"What could I say? He will not listen." Loki answered. His eye shifted to the Casket. Once used as a weapon by the Frost Giants who used it to vanquish armies and enemy realms. It contains the Fimbulwinter of Ymir; it created massive snowstorms if opened. The hand size Casket of Ancient Winter contained the fury of a thousand killing winters.

The cold can be felt if you held your hand at arms length.

"All Thor wants to do is fight and make enemy's twice his size. He yearns for it. It was why he didn't want to marry you, Siggy."

She sighed. "Thor is your brother. If you may bicker and argue. If you have had your differences. He will still listen to you." she turned in step, indicating she was also leaving the vault now. "His coronation was just ruined. The day he has been waiting for. I am sure he is upset and was acting on those feelings alone. You should find him, comfort him."

Loki sighed, ascending the steps at her side. "Perhaps it was for the better?" They left the Casket behind them. Not even playing a second thought to them.

"How do you mean?"

"Don't be naive, Siggy. You saw him just now." Loki gestured a hand behind them. "He is not fit to be king let alone rule the Realms. They would certainly fall into war and turmoil under his reign - and do not deny it. He was ready to jump into a fight without a second thought - ready for war unaware of the consequences." Sigyn closed her lips. "Our marriage would not matter. War will season us again. It was right for father to do nothing. Sometimes doing nothing is doing something. Why are you smiling?"

Loki looked more confused than concerned for his brother.

Sigyn looked again. The smile still on her face. "You sound like your mother." she noted. "A king fit for the throne." she mocked with a silly voice.

Loki laughed lightly. "I am the most unworthy."

"So you say."

"You must love me so, my dear wife! To lace your tongue with such sweet lies." he said. "It makes me want to yearn for more."

They were now making their way back up into the palace.

"As the god of lies, I would hope you would know a lie. Even when it is not a lie."

Loki laughed cheekily again this time.