Five: God of Light

The end of the night was whisked away by first light. Two drunken warriors were leaning into each other, slowly swaying to the music that stopped ages ago, both with an empty ale cup. The banquet hall was strewn with empty plates, sleeping women and warriors. The party got so crazy, at one point, someone jumped from the balcony, to be saved by Thor who flew to the rescue. It was certain that after this point, they didn't need a marriage to secure peace. The feast was enough for most.

Most of Asgard slept through the day to recover from the night before. And then the celebration would pick up again in the afternoon. It continued like this for days.

Sigyn awoke late the next day. For a moment she thinks she's back in Vanaheim in her bed. When her eyes open, she met with an unfamiliar golden room, and she remembers she's in Asgard. She remembers the feast. She remembers the kiss she shared with Thor.

On the pillow beside her head rests a white hornsberry flower.

Sigyn sits up to look around the large chamber. It was just her. She lifts the flower and a petal drops off into her lap. She runs her fingers over the silky smoothness of the white petals, pointed to a soft prick. Its a detailed flower with many layers, but beautiful. A soft smile comes to her lips. She knows who left it there. But when did he come into her room?

Sigyn takes the flower. She can't help bringing it to her nose to smell. Then the thought that she was one day closer to the wedding dawned on her.

The flower was put aside and she leaves the comfort of the silk sheets. She bathes to wash away the sweat and mead of the night before and dresses. She knows from now on, there would be preparations and fabric fittings. The entire realm would begin their preparation for the wedding. Sigyn found she was occupied most of the days with these preparations. She'd argue with her mother the placement of some things or the colour.

Thor would argue with his father what games should be held, and which boar should be held in their honour for the feast afterwards.

They were spent for the day speaking with noble politicians about what to do when, where, and how. The traditions of Asgard and what she should and should not do. They were each handed their vows and a list to memorise. Both families will be fitted with attire for the wedding.

(Good luck finding a dress suitable for Freya.) thinks Sigyn, with a smile. Her mother, with all good intentions, has been very difficult to deal with. Nothing pleased her, and nothing was good enough for the wedding.

Thor was planning a hunt with his friends; a hunt for the largest boar in Asgard that continued to terrorise the mountains to the day. And a few weeks time, they would set out for the beast. The only beast worthy of being served at their wedding, he told Sigyn. She thought that was nice of him.

She found herself swept away by her mother and Queen Frigga and all her sisters to find the fabric for her dress. The handmaidens presented her with so many choices it was overwhelming. So many designs and options and silks to pick from. She couldn't decide on just one thing. She would need time to decide, when she was reminded the wedding is in the next moon cycle. A month.

Sigyn is walking the length of a long corridor with tall columns lined with arched windows, a handmaiden following behind. She's deep in thought, thinking about everything. She can see the Fleet between the open windows, hovering high above Asgard.

She hears her sisters calling for her, when she tells them she'll join them for dinner soon.

"On a stroll, are we?" a silk voice says.

Sigyn stops. At one of these windows is sitting Loki. Book in hand. He lifts his head and closes the book. It disappears with magic. Sigyn smiles, glancing away. "I needed to get away from all the excitement. It's a lot to take in at once."

His Queen | Book 1On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara