Twenty Seven: Mother

"I could not believe it myself when I heard those words." chuckled Queen Freya.

"What?" Gersemi spits, confusion in her voice. "Just like that...?" she waves the grape she picked from the platter in circles.

"... They abandoned each other?" her twin finished. "Did they love each other at all or was this all just a hoax?"

Nanna grabs Gersemi's wrist and widens her eyes at her little sister. A warning to put the grape back before their mother got upset as they sit without the Queen of Asgard, or Sigyn.

Queen Freya calls over the cup bearer and demands another drink be poured for her. "I only hope Sigvard's efforts were not in vain." then she dramatically rolled her wrist to stop the cup bearer and they pulled the jug away. "It would have been a disaster. The realm shamed! When upon a sacred oath you swear your life's blood and if broken The Norns would not cast judgment so easily." Queen Freya's voice can be heard speaking in the banquet hall. "Other factors are involved which I cannot explain. But it is not fated and you can't fight it. I am gladdened she is going with it."

Then it was quiet.

"I think that is a bit harsh on Siggy, Mother." says Gersemi.

 "Yes, Mother

"Yes, Mother." Hnoss said. "I would want to marry for love, too. We cannot blame them - have you seen them when together?"

 We cannot blame them - have you seen them when together?"

Silence.

Freya scoffed, placing down her chalice. "I have. I have also seen another side to the snake and he bites with venom. What Sigvard said was right and you should listen to your brother."

"But..."

"... what if he is wrong? Ever since we came here everything has felt wrong. We all feel it..."

"... even you, Mother."

Utensils clanked down. Silence. "I do not want to hear another word about what happened yesterday. I want us all to forget and move on. Once the ceremony is over there will be nothing to worry about anymore, girls. This will all be over."