Fifty Three: There Is Hope

Every atom of Sigyn missed him.

For days she hoped and prayed to the Norns for the return of her husband. There was no sign of him. Not even the eyes of Heimdall could see him. He was far beyond them now. She tore apart the great library searching for answers. A way into Nornheim. A way to summon the sisters of fate and demand they bring him back to her. After all they cannot be so cruel, can they?

"Lo, there do I see my father."

Together as mother and son, Sigyn and Vali sit on the beach of Asgard. The waves gently wash ashore as the suns set on the ninth night since Loki fell.

"Lo, there do I see my mother. And my sisters and my brothers."

Sigyn twisted her hand and the orb which she caressed in her palms grew with a soft yellow light. Vali does the same to his.

"Lo, there do I see the line of my people. Back to the beginning. Lo, they do call to me."

Vali raised his orb to the sky and allowed it to float from his hands. It danced gently across the surface of the water as it began to rise higher. Sigyn still holds onto her's afraid to release it to the sky. Afraid that if she lets go this will seal Loki's fate and he will never return to her. That glimmer of false hope will go away with this orb.

Vali cupped his hands beneath the hands of his mother and she looked up with teary eyes. Together, they raised the orb and Sigyn wanted to clutch onto it like a rope of hope. But it slipped from her fingers and began to rise into the air.

Vali continued. "They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave may live forever."

Sigyn dropped her arms at her side as the orb rose past the peer. And two more orbs joined Sigyn and Vali's. They floated out from the palace and together the four orbs danced among the stars. Thor and Frigga sat on the balcony of Asgard in mourning together.

Sigyn and her son sat on the sand until the last rays of the suns dipped beneath the waves. They watched the water and enjoyed the sounds of the crashing ocean against the cliffside. Vali gazed to his mother then back to the black water. "What will you do now?" he softly asked.

"I don't know." she replied, broken.

"I will return to Vanaheim. To finish my training."

Her eyes are hollow even if she is looking. "That will be best." she said.

He wanted to comfort her. But he remembered the way she was when Narvi was taken from them. She isolated herself in grief for nine years in the cave which Loki was falsely strung. "I believe father now sits next to Narvi in the hall of the fallen." he wanted to at least bring her some sort of clarity. "They sit and drink together. Reunited at last."

He see's a small smile from her lips and just as quickly it is gone. The thought of that is nice.

LOGYN

Onside the palace a feast is ongoing in the great banquet hall. A feast is honour of Thor's return. The table is filled with cuisine and drink. People wear their best clothes and mingle together in conversation. This angered Sigyn greatly. She carved her way through the crowd as they parted for her graciously. Each of them looking as she passed.

The news of what Loki travelled around Asgard like the fires of Muspelheim. And they looked at her like she was apart of it all from the beginning. She see's the three warriors enjoying themselves around the long table, laughing and eating. Sigyn turns away with no smile. Sigyn was just a shadow jumping from the walls and the candlelight.