Seventeen: Misfortune

Asgard's suns had set some time ago and supper was dispersed awkwardly. Nanna had gotten up to quickly leave with her husband. They had collected their son from the maidens and decided it was time for their evening baths before bed.

"I have never seen Sigvard so worked up like this before." Baldur said, hushed. Their son, Forseti was skipping ahead with a wooden dagger, jumping and slashing it through the air. Practicing his training.

"There has only ever been times where he was like that." Nanna explained, her thick dress gliding around her feet. "Times of hardship. He would get so stressed trying to protect us, his sisters. I remember as a girl when the palace was raided by outsiders from another realm we have not seen. He made sure we were hidden so well, not even our parents could find us afterward." she can't help but laugh at the memory now, despite remembering how terrified she was.

Baldur takes Nanna's hand into his. "Perhaps that's all it is then. Imagine, his little sister is too marry a stranger for peace in an unfamiliar place we have been at war with for centuries. I cannot imagine how he must be feeling right now. All he wants is to protect Sigyn."

"Then why target Loki?"

"They are one and the same." Baldur suggested, shrugging his broad shoulders. "They are clashing."

Nanna smiled. "You always know what to say."

Baldur brings his lips to Nanna's hand where he places a small kiss. "Once we put our son to bed, what do you say we make another heir?" he smiled wildly.

Nanna's checks turned deep crimson and she giggled. "Oh, shush." she playfully ripped her hand away from him. "First, take our son for his bath. I must check on my sisters and I will meet you in our chamber."

"As you command, my love." Baldur bowed to his wife. "Forseti, come! We must be off and VERY quickly!"

"Catch me if you can!" Forseti bolts around a corner.

"Forseti!" Baldur roared with laughter, chasing his son screaming with delight. "I'm going to catch you!" their voices boomed off the walls. Nanna smiled with the thought and waited until their voices are barely audible. She continues on her path towards Sigyn's quarters. She passes several maids carrying folds of fabric and wreaths. She passes two warriors lighting fires to the brasiers that illuminate the golden halls in deep orange.

"My lady." they both greet as she passes.

Nanna nods polity and keeps on her way.

LOGYN

Moments earlier, Sigyn is sitting on her balcony watching as the last sun is struggling to sink beneath the horizon. She watches as the stars begin to shine through the dark night bringing out the contrast. She watches as fires begin to sprout all over Asgard. This afternoons supper still has her a little shaken. The whole interactions between families was starting to reach its peak and as Sigyn sits there further, her mind wonders back to the vision of her grandmother visiting her that fateful night.

She remembers what she said to her. The owl. She remembers waking up and understanding what needed to be done. Perhaps it is time that happened?

Using the armrests of the bench, Sigyn helps herself to her feet when a figure against the evening sun floated down into her view. Red cape fluttering gently in the breeze. "Princess." greets Thor, hovering in the air. "I hope I am not disturbing you."

"Not at all." she greeted, up at him. "I was just about to retire for the night."

Thor's feet touched down on the balcony where she sat. "Would you mind if I joined you for a few moments?"