Thirty Four: Gods and Men

After some time.

"Two... three!" the bulb flashed brightly leaving a lasting fluorescent dot in Sigyn's vision. At last the group were able to relax back to their natural state. Sigyn relaxed her posture. The camera man appeared from beneath the blanket and gave them a thumbs up. "Perfect!" he announced. "This'll make a good picture for your folks back home." the young American boy says. "Once we get it developed 'n all."

The 107th regiment dispersed back to their tents and campsite. Vali swivelled on the crate which he sat and looked up at his mother over his right shoulder. "What do you say we send a picture back to Asgard?" he laughed.

Sigyn gave him a look. "Absolutely not." she was disguised as one of the regiments nurses. And beside her was an older lady with wisps of grey hair and soft wrinkles of age and joy in her eyes.

Vali laughed again.

They were just in a camp several miles from Azzano, Italy. Just off the border to Austria. From Sergeant Bucky Barnes's information, there should be a Hydra base somewhere in Azzano, and then their next target will be the base hidden in the Swiss Alps of Austria.

"Oh, these boys." Sally Heinemann chuckled, shaking her head. "They live to give us nothing but grief." she spoke with an ageing voice.

"You are telling me." smiled Sigyn.

Sally pushed a smile.

Vali runs his fingers over his mouth. "You sound too formal." he whispers. "We are not in a meeting with the high council or courts."

Sigyn's eyes widened. "Apologies."

Vali shook his head getting to his feet, he slung his musket over his shoulder. Sally pointed a finger at the young god. "Now, don't you go making a fuss about the way your lady speaks. I'm sure her mother language is beautiful and it's great n' all that she's helping us out."

Vali smiled again. "Lady?" he repeated. Only if she knew who his mother really was. "Sorry, Sal." he apologised. "I'll be sure to watch my language next time."

"Good boy, now off you go. The Sergeant has informed you there are drills to go over. Be off with you now." she shooed him away with her hand.

Vali looked to his mother.

"Be off with you." she smiled, gesturing her hand delicately as if to shoo away a butterfly. Vali shook his head swiftly turning on his heel marching to join the others.

"Boys." implied Sally, shaking her head. "Say, why don't you come over here and help me move these outta the way? We should get some beds set up..." Sally began to head towards the medic tent. "Get little Josh to fill up on the water, too. Make sure our rations are all up to count."

LOGYN

Later during the night, Sigyn is sitting inside the medical tent with Vali sitting on a box adjacent of her. They spoke in hushed whispers, glancing around the tent making sure they weren't being overheard. They spoke in the lamp light with lots of urgent hand gestures and frustrated sighs of a language alien to this world.

The sound of soft footfalls in the dirt approaching then forced them to break their conversation short. "Knock, knock." Sergeant James Barnes knocked his knuckles against the pole, entering the tent. As he entered he see's Sigyn and Vali pull away from each other both with exerted features. Vali puts his chin in his hand and Sigyn straightens out her pants.

"I hope I'm not interrupting something?" he softly said.

Sigyn gestured to the box next to Vali. "Not at all." she replied. "Have a seat. There was some long overdue topic that needed to be smoothed over."