Chapter 35

***WARNING***
There's blood, disturbing scenes, read at your own risk!!!!!

Am I dead?!

Alarmed, Rascal frantically spun in circles. The roar of battle was gone, replaced with the peaceful sounds of running water and singing birds. His wounds healed, and the stench of blood had completely dissipated. All was calm.

His eyes trailed every rock, every meadow, and tree in sight.

"Where am I?" He whispered.

"You're in Heaven." A deep voice replied.

Rascal whipped around. Two familiar shapes sparkled as they padded towards him. Rascal caught his breath.

Ma!!

Father!!!

He rushed over. He was met with soft gentle licks on his head. He pulled away to gaze at them.

Maple was restored to youth. Her hip bones no longer jutting out. The gleam in her blue eyes was stronger than ever. There wasn't a trace of the illness that killed her.

Copper looked as happy as ever. His red-gold pelt glowing like the sun. His green eyes twinkled.

Rascal couldn't believe his eyes. He instantly collapsed to the soft meadow ground. "I've failed." He murmured.

His parents weaved around him. Copper stopped in front of his son, looking him in the eyes. "No, you haven't."

His mother pressed her pelt against his. "You've always made us so proud. And we love you deeply."

Rascal lifted his head. Eyes full of tears. "Aren't you angry? You're own father took your life." He flattened his ears. "How could you ever forgive him?"

Copper took a step back. "Life's too short to carry on with hate. In the end, cruelty and violence aren't worth it."

Rascal looked down at his paws. "But what do I do now? Humans may kill everyone and take the forest."

Maple leaned down to his ear. "They need a leader. They need you."

"We won't ever leave your side. Not for a minute." Copper's eyes softened. "You're our son, and we'll always be with you." He leaned down and touched his muzzle to Rascal's head. "Go on; finish the battle. Take back what belongs to the Packs. Lead them, Rascal."

Rascal felt a blinding light wash over him, then a moment of silence.

~•~•~•~

Rascal opened his eyes and gasped. Air found its way back to his lungs. The sound of battle rang in his ears. The smell of blood reached his nose.

He found himself in a puddle of his own blood. He pushed up to stand and noticed four dogs clustered around something nearby.

Then he remembered.

Jumper!!!

He took off in their direction. The dogs were mauling the brown wolf. Rascal tore them away from his friend.

The dogs barked and fought him head on. Rascal kicked, bit, sliced and slashed. The dogs dropped dead.

Rascal crouched beside Jumper. The brown wolf was bleeding heavily everywhere. Rascal tried to patch the wounds. Scarlet liquid ran through his fur. The blood didn't slow at all.

A gurgling noise came from Jumper. And he raised his head weakly.

"Never let her go. Wolves like Misty are hard to find. She's s-s-something special." Jumper rasped.