Chapter 1

Rascal faced his leader as bravely as he could. He kept his gaze lowered, for fear of what he would see in Howler's eyes. Being in a Pack where you were unwanted was not a pleasant thought. Especially when everyone else either whispered behind your back or threatened you.

No doubt that his life is an endless circle of abuse and hate. The only reason he stayed was because of his sickly mother and dear sweet sister, Ella. That's why he puts up with everyone else's nonsense. He tries to ignore it and put it aside. He usually does, but at times he feels like he could die, and be content with it.

He normally can put up with their harm. But when Skylark, Howler's only child, torments him, he can't seem to let it go easier. Skylark's words burn like fire, leaving a deep scar of shame in Rascal's mind. It brings seeds of doubt to his thoughts. As if he's nothing but another mouth to feed.

Rascal tries to leave his past behind and focus on the future. He knows if he shows weakness around his Packmates they would worsen his abuse, and make him feel even lower than before.

Is he interested in any she-wolves? No. Are any she-wolves interested in him? No. The females just ignore him altogether, with hardly even a glance in his direction. It is believed that she-wolves will go for a higher-ranked wolf, rather than be shamed and stand by a wolf with a terrible reputation.

Rascal accepted the fact that he would never have a mate or pups. Even if he never does, he would be the best uncle to his sister's pups. If she ever gets a mate, whether he liked Rascal or not, Rascal would put his heart in those little ones.

And it is very likely that his sister will have a mate. Her snow-white coat glimmered in any form of light. Radiance and trust shone in her beautiful sky-blue eyes. She is the sweetest, most caring wolf to ever walk the earth. An angel with a pure clean soul.

Rascal feels that others take advantage of his sister's big heart. Especially his brothers Boulder and Stone. Those two are a whole other story. They practically hate their own brother and sister. Even their mother. Rascal cleared his angry thoughts and focused back on the present.

Howler and his mate Destiny stared down at Rascal in cool, controlled anger. At first, Rascal tried to read the thought in their eyes. But he trembled too hard to continue with this. His blood ran cold with fear. He so desperately wished that he would disappear from his cycle of humiliation.

"What have I said to you repeatedly before the hunt?" Howler demanded, silver eyes glowing with contempt.

Rascal didn't look at him as he replied. "To follow orders." He mumbled in embarrassment.

"Did you follow my orders?" a hint of a snarl curled in Howler's voice.

Rascal suddenly lost control of his emotions. He rose to his paws and glared at his alpha defiantly. "I was just providing for my Pack! Why am I always wrong about everything?"

Gasps echoed in the crowd of wolves. Tundra leaned over and whispered in Stream's ear, who nodded in agreement with whatever she just said. Buck, Aspen, and Dakota jumped to their feet and hollered curses at Rascal. A few wolves just whispered back and forth while the rest snarled and spat insults at Rascal, ready to defend their alpha.

Rascal felt stupid for blurting out his words. He sure was in for it now. Feeling small and helpless, he scrunched himself in a ball, keeping his tail between his legs. Why did I have to be so stupid?

The silver-gray leader twitched his ears. Every voice was hushed, waiting in silence for Howler's reply. The bare branches rattled in the sharp wind. Overhead, the sky was filled with heavy clouds, promising rain later.

Before Howler could say anything, Destiny leaped to her feet, teeth glistening in a fearsome growl. "You know nothing Rascal! And how dare you talk back to your alpha like that! Go to your den and learn to keep that muzzle of yours shut!"

Rascal flinched and slunk off to the den he shared with his sister. He felt the burning glares of his Packmates stabbing his fur. It made his skin crawl with unease.

He squeezed through the entrance that was thickly padded of animal pelts to keep out the cold during the winter season. He felt lucky that he even had insulation, considering no one would care if he froze to death anyway. The warm air made him relax, but only a little. He curled into a ball and sat, thinking about his humiliation. Not long after, his sister entered and gently rasped her tongue over his cheek.

He raised his head. "So, uh you saw what happened?"

"Only all of it," Ella nodded, face showing sorrow. "I feel awful that you must deal with these problems every day. If only things were different..."

"No," Rascal broke in. " We need a place, Ella. Think about it; if we were out there on our own, would we survive?" He didn't wait for her answer. "Of course not! Remember our father, before he disappeared?"

Ella could hardly speak. She closed her eyes to fight back tears, voice choked with emotion. "Yes, I remember."

"He was an incredible fighter and hunter; a wolf feared by all who walked the forest."

"Where exactly are you going with this Rascal?" Ella opened her eyes and looked at him in confusion.

Her brother stared at her. "If our father was a well-respected wolf, then why aren't we?"

Ella sat in silence. The thought confused both of them. After a while, she finally shook her head. "It just doesn't make sense. Perhaps Howler thinks we are...."

"Useless." Rascal breathed the word. He looked at his sister, green eyes glowing with dismay. He understood now that the only reason Howler let he and Ella stay; because they are the descendants of a noble wolf. It wouldn't look good if he tossed Ella and Rascal out, and let Boulder and Stone stay. Even though he favored the cocky brothers over the two good-hearted ones.

The white she-wolf sighed. "Rascal, what's the point?"

He didn't understand. "What do you mean?"

Ella's face crumpled in defeat. "Why are we even staying here? Is it worth it?"

Rascal stood and stepped toward her. "As I said before; No one would want us in their Pack. Especially Flame Woods Pack. And I don't want to risk the opportunity here. We wouldn't last a day on our own anyway. I know they don't like us, mostly me, but Ella, where would we go?"

She stared at the wall as if seeing some wonderful land far, far away. "I don't know. You're right; Flame Woods would never accept us. And who knows if there are even more Packs out there?"

Rascal wouldn't go to that blood-thirsty Pack if he even had a choice. He's seen their territory from his Pack's side of the border. Years ago when the Packs were first formed, lightning struck and a fire had raged through Flame Woods territory, destroying anything in its path. And many wolves died in the fire. There were only eight survivors out of twenty-five. They created the Pack once more, welcoming in loners or runaways in order to expand.

And they named their Pack after what they've overcome to stand where they do now. They called themselves Flame Woods Pack. Parts of the territory never grew back, leaving the scars of that horrific day engraved in the survivors' minds.

Rascal hated them. Flame Woods and Stone Hollow have never been on good terms. War after war raged and spilled more blood. Even simple fights turned into a battle that would last moons on end.

Rascal was sick of worrying. He made himself comfortable and settled down, closing his eyes to fall into a world of dreams and happiness.

Hello everyone! This book is being edited at the moment so if there are some parts that don't fit or make sense, it means I'm editing it.

Thanks!

15thSoccerGirl