Chapter 15

The night became colder as it went on. Freezing air swept over Rascal, as he tried his best to shield Misty from it. Stars poked through the blackness of the night, and shone on Misty, turning her pelt silver in the moonlight.

The she-wolf stirred, then her beautiful eyes fluttered open. She yawned and stretched. Rascal bent his head to nudge her to her paws. They should head back. Rascal let her lean on him as he guided her slowly down the slope.

They only went down about two paces, when a familiar voice cackled.

"Oh Rascal, it's a pity to see you here. Helping a Flame Woods wolf of all things!"

Rascal gritted his teeth and turned to face his tormentor. Skylark's brown eyes glowed with mockery, his large shape silhouetted against the moon. His white teeth flashed brightly, his lips pulled back in a vicious sneer, as he stood on a hill above them.

"What do you want, Skylark?" Rascal sounded more annoyed than afraid. "Shouldn't you be with your O wise father right now?"

The silver wolf howled in laughter, then leaped down from his perch to stand in front of Rascal. "I have unfinished business. Howler understands that."

"Just go back to your Pack. No one wants you here."

"That's just the pleasure of it." He growled and lunged.

Rascal yipped in surprise, dodging the blow and spinning around to face him again. He glanced over to Misty, who was staring at him with courage. She wasn't capable of fighting, but Rascal was.

Skylark smacked Rascal's face, purposely with his claws. Blood wasn't drawn, but it was hard enough to sting. Rascal opened his jaws wide and bit firmly on the silver wolf's strong leg. He tasted blood and pulled away quickly to duck from a coming paw. Skylark growled, throwing a heavy blow to Rascal. It sent him stumbling back. The silver wolf was suddenly above Rascal, jeering at him with a slimy smirk.

But before he could cause any damage, Misty jumped in between them. She bristled and bravely glared at Skylark with her teeth flashing into a snarl.

Skylark looked momentarily surprised. He quickly covered it up and shoved Misty back with his paws. She slid to regain her balance and moved away to dodge what could have been a dangerous hit. She gathered her strength and jabbed his face with a sharp blow. Skylark swatted out at her clumsily. Misty easily jumped out of the way brought her hind legs up to kick him. He groaned and spat something incoherently under his breath. With a massive burst of energy, he charged into Misty's side, ramming her with his head. She grunted and flew straight into a tree.

Rascal jumped up and thought quickly, smirking.

An idea sparked in his mind. His eyes lit up as he glared at Skylark. He leaped beside Skylark, taunting him with a wave of his tail. The large male roared in anger and tried to spring at him. Rascal jumped over the aimed hit and began running circles around Skylark.

"Huh? Wha-" Skylark was confused at first, which quickly turned to frustration. "This is ridiculous!" He spat. Every time he tried to lash out at Rascal, he missed. Spinning in every which way fueled the fire.

Rascal glanced at Misty. She lay on the ground, ears pricked in interest. Her eyes sparkled with admiration, mouth gaping in awe. He was secretly proud of himself. He knew he was smaller than Skylark, and that he was nimbler than the large wolf. Skylark wouldn't be able to catch him.

To finish it off, Rascal jumped into the air, spun, and side-tackled the silver wolf. They flew away in a blur of silver and black movement, landing with a thud. Rascal stood and glared at his attacker. Blood trickled from Skylark's mouth. He stumbled to his paws and turned to flee back to his Packmates.

Panting, Rascal padded over to Misty. She was now sitting up, a weak glint in her eye.

"Are you okay?" Rascal asked.

Misty didn't answer. She looked as though she was about to burst with excitement.

"That was amazing!" She gave a little bounce. "The way you tricked him...and leaped on him...and...and..." She didn't know what to say next.

Rascal's pelt warmed with embarrassment. "Thanks..." He muttered shyly. Misty seemed to be restored with energy from the spectacle. He was glad to see her well and happy again. The whole way back, she wouldn't stop talking about the quick fight with Skylark.

He looked at her as she spoke. The words drowned out, and Rascal could only see the lively energy coming off her in huge waves. Her green eyes glimmered and dazzled in the silver moonlight. Her perfect white coat was glowing and bright.

He grinned at her as she continued to blabber on and on.

They finally reached camp. Rascal stopped dead. The clearing was bloody and filled with bodies of injured wolves. He slowly walked forward, Misty at his side. The wounded moaned and pleaded for help as they padded past.

Rascal glanced up. His eyes fell upon Blossom. She was running back and forth frantically carrying herbs to the ones that needed them the most. He bounded up to her. The healer's eyes softened when they met his.

"Is anyone dead?" He asked.

"No, just badly injured." She stated. "Here." Shoving a pile of herbs to him, she explained. "Take this to anyone that is hurt badly. And if they look like the herbs won't help them, tell me, and I'll take care of it." She scurried off quickly.

Rascal watched her go. Willingly, he grabbed the little leaves and glimpsed around to see who needed them the most. Moon, a small yellow-eyed she-wolf, was bleeding heavily from a wound in her shoulder.

He gave her two little leaves and bounded off to check for more. A huge red wolf, Archie, had a disgusting wound that was dirty and torn on his leg.

Rascal didn't know if the herbs would help or not. He cleaned the wound with a damp rabbit pelt and bounded it together with some long preserved strands of grass that had been stored away in the spring.

After that, another she-wolf, Alusia, had a terrible injury to her head, right above her eye. Blood poured from it fast. He held a pelt there and told her to not move. He looked the wound over and could see it was pretty bad.

As if on command, Blossom was there. She nodded to him to say that she could take it from here. So he glanced around more. Oak was lying in a bloody pool. It soaked through his fur and seeped onto the ground.

Rascal wiped away the blood and inspected the cut. It was long and deep, running along the length of his stomach. Rascal winced at the sight. He placed a rabbit pelt there. It instantly was soaking with scarlet liquid.

He forced himself to continue with his task without pulling a worried look. He finished it and sat down. Being a healer is hard. Especially right after a big battle, when everyone is injured. Misty came over and slumped down beside him.

"Were you helping with the injured?"

"Yeah. And it isn't easy." Her eyes fell upon Blossom. "I wonder what made Blossom wanna become a healer?"

Rascal nodded in agreement, although he knew why. He wasn't sure whether or not to tell Misty he knew about that or not. Then, thinking not to, he decided that he made a promise. And he wouldn't break it.

Jumper bolted over to them, eyes wide with worry.

"Are you okay? You disappeared, and I was worried-sick that Stone Hollow Pack had gotten you!" His brown eyes looked relieved.

"I'm okay, Jumper. I promise." She replied, nuzzling him softly. She gestured to Rascal. "Had it not been for Rascal here, I would've died from my weird illness."

Jumper raised his eyes to look at Rascal. "Yes, I suppose that's so."

Jealousy nagged in Rascal's gut. Jumper was all over Misty, worrying about her, and trying to impress her all the time. Clenching his jaws shut, the black wolf stalked away in jealousy.

Jumper is the one for her... Rascal thought coldly.

He shook away his thoughts as he caught Blossom staring. Her eyes glittered with interest. He smiled back at her, and she giggled. Then walked away, swaying her tail as she went.

Rascal chuckled. Across the clearing, Misty was looking at him. He caught her eye just before she looked away.