Chapter 14

Misty jolted awake to Thunder's worried howl. Stone Hollow Pack? In our camp? How?

Blossom was up and raced to the entrance. She came back a moment later, her eyes ablaze with fear. Howls and barks erupted from outside. Whimpers and slashing of teeth met Misty's ears. She knew what she had to do.

Her body ached with the effort as she stood shakily. Blossom came up beside her and urged her to stay and rest. Misty met her violet eyes evenly. "This is my Pack. And if I die defending my Packmates, then so be it." She pushed past the healer, who was protesting hysterically now.

Misty was met with bright sunlight shining at the entrance. She couldn't see anything at first, but after her eyes adjusted to the light, she was face-to-face with a horrible scene.

Bloody wolves were at each other's throats. Their claws slashing the skin of their opponent. Battle cries and whoops of war blasted the air.

Misty was shocked, but quickly shook it away and leaped into battle. She tackled a silver she-wolf who was pinning Moon to the ground. Her paws met the silver wolf's fur, and she shoved her over with anger.

The wolf scrabbled to her paws and turned around to glare at Misty with her brown eyes. The two she-wolves threw themselves at each other, rolling and biting as they fought fiercely. Misty recognized the wolf as Stream.

The Stone Hollow Pack wolf dodged Misty's blows and countered with a bite to the ear. As weak as she was, Misty kept to her paws and retaliated with a paw-jab to her throat. Stream's eyes glazed with shock, then she turned, and bolted as fast as she could away from Misty.

Then, at the worst possible time, Misty's nose bled. She felt her nose sting, then the sticky blood trickled down her neck, and into her fur. Dizziness swept over her again. She tried to catch her breath, but every inhale she took, was filled with pain. Her chest felt like it was on fire, constricting every breath, and that it was being squashed by a giant boulder.

She gasped, as more blood poured from her wound, harder and faster it came this time. Tears welled in her eyes uncontrollably. Her legs shook, and she almost fell, had it not been for the black flash that pushed her away.

Misty rolled and landed on her back. Her eyes met Rascal's. His were wide with worry.

"Are you okay? This wolf was trying to get you, but I had to push you out of the way."

Misty nodded, and slowly rose to her paws. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine."

He looked as though he didn't believe her. "Follow me." He turned and bolted for the camp entrance.

"Wait!" Misty wheezed, trying to keep up with him. She stumbled and fell. Aspen, a Stone Hollow Pack wolf, came up and held her down, biting her shoulder hard. Rascal noticed, and instantly came back. He growled and smacked Aspen away with a strong paw.

Rascal nudged Misty quickly to her paws and gave her his shoulder to help her out. Misty leaned heavily on him and was barely conscious. He led her up a steep cliff, and he practically had to pull her up. She was so weak, she could hardly tell where she was. After what felt like ages, Rascal pulled her up the rest of the way, onto a flat clifftop with thick bushes to help hide them.

He helped her get settled down, and she closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. Rascal settled down beside her, softly licking her ears and trying to soothe her. Misty was grateful for Rascal's pelt to keep her warm.

Once the dizzy spell had gone, she raised her head and could feel the scarlet drops of blood stick to her fur.

"Feeling better?" Rascal asked as he pulled out a stick with pine needles, and pressed it to her wound.