Chapter 33

***WARNING***
There is gore and blood!!! If you don't like it, don't read it!!!

"Ahhh!!"

Misty whirled around to see Boulder and Stone smashed under a pile of dogs.

She raced their way and picked the dogs off. Her paws were a blur as she worked to get the wolves out. She tore at flesh and eyes, hurrying to pull Boulder and Stone out.

Jaws snapped near her throat. She flinched and lashed out with her hind legs. A whine reached her ears and the dog pounded away. Her face broke into a tiny smirk.

Boulder and Stone made it to their feet. Stone gave a small nod of gratitude and darted off beside his brother.

Misty felt paws slam down on her chest. She was forced against the outer edge of the bottom of the hollow. A large brown dog had her backed against the rock wall. Its fangs near her throat.

Misty brought her hind paws up and kicked the dog in the stomach. It doubled over and she quickly placed a strong kick across its face.

A Mortal pressed his stick to Misty's head. She gasped and felt the cold barrel touch her skin.

The two-legged creature grinned venomously and lowered his finger to the trigger. But a white flash sent him sprawling.

Ella stood over the human, growling and bristling. The intensity of her bravery gleamed in her blue eyes. She quickly pinned the Mortal and killed it instantly.

Misty gulped for breath. Exhaustion seeped through her veins. But she didn't want to give up just yet. Her home was at stake. She couldn't risk stopping.

Misty and Ella took off. They shoved their way through a group of dogs, making it to the center. They reared on their hind legs and stood back to back, striking out as one.

Dogs leaped and snarled. They were flicked aside like a piece of rotten prey. Misty felt Ella's back against hers. She was relieved to know her back was covered.

She noticed the wolves being swallowed by piles of dogs. Dread hit her stomach like a cold stone.

Oh no!!

"Stay together in pairs of two!" Rascal's voice howled through the chaos.

Where is he?

She craned her neck to look and became distracted. A small gray dog knocked her away from Ella. She landed with a thump and was swarmed by dogs.

She felt their blows hit her like a river's current. Everything hurt. Her pads were aching from continuously staying on her feet. The weight from the canines knocked the breath from her. The she-wolf growled and tried to shakily get to her paws.

Teeth dug into her back. Red-hot pain scorched her skin. She gritted her teeth and heaved herself up. Her attackers flew in all directions.

A human caught her muzzle in a rough, twisted vine.

A rope!!

She'd heard stories about these. They were used to catch a wolf and haul them away against their will.

The rope tightened around her muzzle. She wiggled and fought against the grip. The Mortal grinned wickedly at her. He slowly began pulling her towards him.

Misty rooted her paws to the ground. But the rain had softened it and she slid through it like a snake. Mud and blood smeared her beautiful pelt. Her muscles ached with the effort of breaking free. Rain slid to her flesh and she shivered. Mostly out of terror.

One final idea crept in the back of her mind.

I've got to try......

She let her legs collapse beneath her. Mud splashed in her face. The human cackled and pulled her to his feet. She lay like that for another second, then quickly jerked up and ran circles around the Mortal while the rope snaked its way over his legs.

It shouted with confusion and lurched forward. Misty tackled him all the way to the ground. The strain on the rope made it break away from Misty's snout. A raw ring was visible where the rope was.

Misty killed the creature. She spun just as a metal rod came down on her forepaw. She clenched her teeth and felt a sharp pain sear her back. She dropped, tongue lolling.

Ella jumped in and pushed the Mortal back with bites and blows. She paused for a second to shout. "Get a healer to look at your cut! It looks bad!" She streamed back into battle.

Misty weakly shoved to her paws and glanced up. The top of the hollow seemed so far away. She limped as fast as she could. The steep incline didn't make it any easier for her. She feared she'd open the wound even more.

A small flicker of strength got her over the top. As soon as she felt the felt sturdy flat ground beneath her paws, she collapsed.

It took her a moment to take in the horror. Wolves --- all bloody and ripped. Laying in the wet pools of rain.

Blossom and Fern ran back and forth between the injured. Even little Moondancer and the Stone Hollow Pack pups treated wounds.

Misty was so caught up in the terrible moment, that she didn't realize Blossom was at her side. The healer rinsed the cut, and spread an ointment on it to keep out infection. She tore off a small piece of rabbit pelt and coated the inside with honey. Then she slapped it down on Misty's back with such force, Misty howled.

"You can fight, but don't do anything you can't handle." Blossom picked up her things and scurried over to the next wolf.

Misty couldn't peel her eyes from the terror. Wolves writhed and screamed in agony. Blood pooled from a she-wolf's stomach. She twitched and more blood spilled out.

A male was coughing, his throat was ripped open. Misty flattened her ears as he shuddered and let out one more shaky breath before passing. His blood-soaked body shuddering with a final sigh.

She couldn't watch anymore. She pelted away from the shrieks of the wounded, and down the steep rocky hollow. She used the momentum, and slammed into a human and sent him flying into the stone wall.

Misty could feel the dressing on her back. She hoped it wouldn't mess her up with her fighting.

She leapt up on a slippery rock. Her claws scrapes its surface. Lightning flashed and thunder roared. Misty looked like a phantom wolf silhouetted in the dark sky as rain streamed from her fur.

She glared at each and every pair of dog and Mortal eyes she could see. She flexed her shoulders and let out a low growl. Her eyes burned to the souls of the intruders. She felt power surge in her veins.

You'll have to kill me before you take my home......

A/N: So what do guys think will happen?? Who do think will live and who will die??

Thanks for reading!!

Sincerely,
15thSoccerGirl