Chapter 22

The sun was already up over the horizon. It's been a long cold week, and Misty was glad to see the sun and its warmth. The wind whispered through the trees, sending shivers running up Misty's spine. She rounded an oak tree and slipped into the shadows. Which didn't conceal her much considering that her pelt was very light.

She set each paw down lightly and narrowed her eyes to stare into the darkness. Her heart thumped nervously, and she wasn't sure about this place. Then she stopped dead in realization.

Wait, this isn't Flame Woods territory!

She sniffed the air again.

Nor is this Stone Hollow Pack!

Panic dropped into the pit of her stomach. This isn't Lifeless Forest either!

She spun around and raced the way she came. Her paws fumbled over the cool ground. She swallowed and lurched forward with every bit of strength she had. Endless trees went by in a blur along with bushes, creeks, and other things that weren't noticeable.

She glimpsed at everything as she went past it. It all looked the same. Every stick, every leaf..... I'm in an endless forest!

She slipped on a moist leaf. Her legs splayed out from under her, and she went down, landing on her stomach. The wind was knocked out of her and she lay, trying to catch her breath.

A deep fog seemed to set in, she closed her eyes and covered her ears with her paws. A faint chorus of howls slowly sounded closer and closer with each second.

Misty opened her eyes and stood, perplexed. Then gasped as she stared at what lay before her.

Mortals, dogs, wolves; all fighting for the same thing; land.

Wolves were shredded and torn to bits. Mortals shouted in rage and shot their Thunder-sticks. Among the chaos, Misty spotted Rascal struggling to free himself from a group of vicious dogs.

"Rascal!" She howled and took off in a run towards her friend.

Dogs dug their fangs into his flesh. He shrieked and kicked frantically.

Misty panted and continued towards him. Her legs began to ache and she wasn't sure how much longer she'd last. She ran and ran, but wasn't going anywhere. No matter how hard or fast she pounded along, she couldn't reach him.

His painful cries filled her ears.

"Rascal! Rascal!" Her voice was hoarse from screaming and running at the same time. "Rascal!" She shrilly yelled.

Rascal was carried away in a wave of dogs, his voice lost in the endless clamor. Misty's strength was gone, and she collapsed to the dirt floor, tongue lolling and panting heavily.

"No, please..." She whispered weakly and tried to crawl after him.

I don't want to lose him.....I can't

~~~~~~~~~~

Misty jerked awake. Exhaustion dragged her limbs down as if she really had run through the forest in a frantic panic. She pushed to her forepaws and pressed her head against the cool part of her den. She reached her paw up and gently traced the scar her father had given her. It gave her anger, rage burning throughout her entire body.

She gathered her breath and pushed through the entrance. The day was dreary and cold, rain-splattered over the stone floor and wind chilled Misty to the bone.

My nightmare had better weather than this...

She snorted and bolted over to grab a piece of fresh meat. Hauling it back to her den, she settled at the mouth and nibbled her meal hungrily.