Chapter 26

Ella caught her brother's eye as he nuzzled Misty. Jealousy raked her heart and burned in the back of her mind. She thought Rascal would surely understand how she felt. He usually had. Ella knew that Rascal had helped Misty become a better wolf. Why was he acting so negative when she wanted to do the same for Skylark?

Her paws pricked with unease as she saw Rascal open his mouth to speak. But she didn't want to listen to him. Not now. She turned her back on him, feeling terrible for ignoring him, yet angry that he was being so naive. She padded over to Howler's den, hoping Skylark would emerge soon.

Ella kept her back at him, but she could feel his gaze burn through her fur like fire blazing across dry grass.

She closed her eyes, shoulders drooping. Why must her life be this way? Everything has been so overwhelming lately. Prey was scarce. Mortals are making their way through the forest. And now her brother disapproves her choice in love.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Stream, Onyx, and Dakota make their way over to Rascal and Misty. The two must not have noticed them. Onyx and Dakota pushed them, and they landed in a puddle of watery-mud.

Ella winced. She didn't like the way they were being treated. But what could she do? From where she sat, her heart sank when Rascal gave her a long look. Then he and Misty were forced into the cave flanked by her Packmates.

Sighing, she shook her coat of her problems, then padded to where a fresh elk carcass lay waiting for those who were hungry.

She tore into the tough meat. It was stringy and dry. She spat it out and screwed her face up in disgust.

No longer hungry, she went to her den and tried to reassure herself that her problems would eventually go away.

Her mind spun, and she swayed on her paws. An uneasy feeling crept into her belly, an icy chill clutched her heart.

Guilt washed over her. She never once had an argument with Rascal. She shook as she tried to fight back more tears.

Did loving Skylark mean that she had lost her connection with her brother forever?

She didn't want to lose Rascal. He was practically her only family left. The thought made her shiver.

She was weary and sick of worrying so much. With a yawn, she curled up in her bedding and closed her eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~

Dark clouds hung overhead. A bone-chilling wind grabbed at Ella's fur. A suspicious shadowy forest swallowed her.

Where am I?

Early Winter winds made the late Fall leaves flutter to the ground. They spiraled and floated away in the breeze. Her paw's crunched over them.

All of a sudden enchanted with the place, a mysterious movement caught the corner of her eye. She turned to look and froze. Her fur bristled, blue eyes widening.

Behind a tree, about six bounds off, stood a creepy figure of a wolf. It's blank eyes stared straight through her.

Ella gulped as the wolf stepped forward and cocked its head. Then with a flick of its tail, it darted off into the shadows further on.

Does it want me to follow?

Ella forced herself to put one paw in front of the others as she sprang after the creature.

The glowing outline of the creature was so faint, but still there. Cold water seemed to run along her spine. Ella's conscience was screaming at her to turn tail and flee. But her paws made the choice for her.

They stopped in an area with fallen trees and many puddles. Confusion gave Ella a strange feeling.

The wolf spirit floated at her. Gasping, Ella realized who it was.

"M-Mother?"

The black and white she-wolf dipped her head. "Ella, I have something important to tell you."

Ella's fear returned. Crashing over her like wave after wave in a river. Her mother's voice was urgent, and that scared her.

She watched as Maple sat down beside a glimmering pool of water. The spirit wolf stared deep in thought, into the water at her paws.

What is she doing? Ella was curious but stayed put. She didn't want to disturb Maple. After a few long minutes, Maple flicked her tail for Ella to come beside her.

Warily, the young wolf crept forth. Her heart thudded in her chest, legs shaking as she placed herself next to the spirit.

"Look here." Maple took a paw and gently touched the water. "What do you see?"

Ella crouched down. The puddle was exactly the same color as her eyes. Peering in she saw her reflection and sighed, stepping back.

"It's only my reflection."

"Look closer."

Fixing her gaze on the water, Ella noticed there were faint ripples scimming the surface. She stared at the swirling water. There was no rain or wind to make the ripples continue. They wouldn't be able to ripple without a greater force. What could it be?

Slowly the tiny water rings came to a halt. Ella cocked her head in confusion. Within the mysterious puddle, three paw prints glimmered in the moonlight.

Each of them were different shapes and sizes. But they seemed to connect somehow. Perhaps a three-legged creature of some sort?

No. Ella shook her head. That's ridiculous.

They looked linked. Ella felt every hair on her pelt stick up with unease. She turned her head to ask, but Maple was gone.

Ella was left alone, gazing at the little prints shimmering with starlight. She flinched when Maple's voice rang out.

"Something is coming Ella! Greater than the Mortals! Be prepared! These prints will belong to the wolves that shall save many lives! Even the ones you don't know exist! You shall meet them just before dawn!"

What does Ella's prophecy mean?

Thank you so much for reading!

Sincerely,

15thSoccerGirl