Chapter 8

Rascal opened his eyes to pale sunlight drifting in the den. For a moment he thought he was back home in Stone Hollow Pack with Ella. But then he realized he was in Flame Woods Pack. And that Stone Hollow was never his home, to begin with.

He tried to stand, but a stiffness ran through his entire body. And he winced as he put weight on his sprained paw. Every muscle in him ached. But his heart was aching with homesickness as he missed his sister.

He counted to three and heaved himself to his paws. At first, he was a little unsteady and swayed as he tried to regain his balance. He forced his troubled thoughts aside and limped out into the clearing.

It was a frosty morning, and the air was chilly, but not bitter. Rascal gazed around in awe. The stone walls of the camp looked as if they had been made by the wolves themselves. His eyes fell upon the small caves. They looked as if they could hold two to four wolves depending on the size. The camp walls cast shadows that bathed the clearing in eerie darkness.

Rascal looked around. He was the only one up. Is it too early for them to get up? Wow. They are definitely night owls.

He began to limp around and take in everything about this place. Tall pines sheltered them from most rain and wind. He tried not to shiver as a sudden gust of wind chilled him. Clouds overhead told him it would rain later.

Rascal's belly growled loudly. He remembered he hadn't eaten anything since....well for a while. He looked around hopefully for something to eat. And his eyes landed on a pile of meat on the other side of the clearing.

He cautiously glanced side to side, to be sure no one would see him. Then, he eagerly limped over to the pile of mouth-watering food. He pawed out a piece and stared at it with hungry eyes before bending down to take a bite. But a paw swiped in and knocked the meat away.

Anger raged in Rascal's belly. He turned to glare at the wolf, only to stop and stare. The wolf was Misty. Her eyes lit up in anger. Her fur bristled and looked all spiky.

"Just what do you think you're doing?" She asked as if a mother would scold her pups.

Rascal pushed aside his soft feelings and irritation took over. "What does it look like I'm doing? I'm hungry and I was-"

Misty cocked her head and mocked him. "Oh is the wittle puppy hungwee?" She glared at him now. "Look, the rule is this: You're a prisoner. And you don't eat anything but the food we give you. Once you are healed, you'll have to work for a good meal. Got it?"

Rascal rolled his eyes. "Oh yes, Mother." He tried to push past her, but she moved to stand in his way. Rascal thought he was short, but Misty made him feel like he was the top of a large mountain. He always thought of himself as small. Maybe it was because Skylark was like a giant compared to him.

He bit back laughter as the tiny she-wolf stared up at him coldly. He chewed on his tongue to keep from grinning. Finally, he made his way past Misty and limped to a spot over by Blossom's den.

Rascal watched as wolves came from their dens to blink away their sleep and chat with each other about the day. Then some of the wolves whispered something and kept casting suspicious glances his way. He tried to ignore it, but he felt his pelt heat up with embarrassment. Now almost everyone was staring at him now. Either with curiosity or cold hatred.

He inhaled deeply and closed his eyes. His whole pelt itched with unease. He could feel their eyes on him. And he wished he was with Ella, and his mother and father. With that sudden thought, his eyes filled with tears. He closed his eyes tighter and forced himself to choke back those bitter emotions.

After a moment of calming down, he opened his eyes to see the brown wolf, Jumper, exit his den and pad over to Misty. Rascal suddenly felt jealous and clenched his jaw. Then he shook his head. Why do I care? Besides, she hates me. And there's no point in fawning over a she-wolf unless she likes me back.