Chapter 27

Rascal shivered as he pressed closer to Misty. They had been in that frozen cave for a long time. Rascal wasn't sure how long, but he was worrying that they wouldn't have enough time to practice for the battle.

Stream had thrown scraps of food. It wasn't much, but enough to satisfy their hunger until they could eat again.

He glanced at Misty. She looked very uncomfortable. Only a moment later she woke up. Her eyes were wild, and muscles tense, as if she were about to pounce on prey.

She almost screamed out in terror, but Rascal gently let his fur brush hers. He noticed how close to tears she was.

"What's wrong?" He let his tail lay atop hers.

"Nothing." Her voice cracked. She flattened her ears and dropped her gaze.

Rascal knew she wasn't fine. He padded to her other side so he could face her. "Bad dream?"

"Kinda." She muttered and wiped her eyes.

Rascal licked away her tears. Trying to comfort her as best as he could.

Misty sighed and leaned against him. "Just my puphood."

Rascal's heart jumped. He knew how bad Misty's puphood was. When her brother died, her parents left her, saying that she wasn't worth anything without her brother. Ever since then Misty has found it hard to trust others again.

Her hot tears poured out. She closed her eyes tight, tears dripping the cave floor. Rascal wiped her tears, soothing her any way possible.

Before he could utter a word of comfort, Stream entered with Onyx and Dakota.

"Quit your crying and shut up!" She snarled. "Howler is ready."

Misty snapped her burning glare on the she-wolf.

Rascal bristled and a low growl rumbled in his throat. He let his claws scrape the floor.

"Have something to say?" Stream challenged. "Don't you know how to shut your muzzle?"

"I could ask the same of you." Rascal turned to Misty. "Let's go." He pushed his way past the wolves with Misty right behind him.

He entered the clearing, blinking when bright sunlight slapped him in the face. Barks of hate encircled around him. Howler emerged from his den with the high-ranks at his side.

He beckoned Rascal and Misty to come forward. They made their way to the front and sat, ignoring the howls of refusal around them.

"Silence!" Howler's voice cut sharply across the clearing. The Pack instantly quieted. "Anyway, we have discussed our options about this problem. And, with the help of the high-ranks, we have decided to join Flame Woods in the battle with the Humans."

Wolves jumped up and shouted protests. They growled and bristled, glaring at Rascal and Misty viciously.

Rascal's belly flipped with relief. Finally, the Packs could face the Mortal with no worries!

He dipped his head in respect. "Thank you Howler." But the alpha ignored his thanks.

"I'll have an escort show you the border. Skylark, take a couple of wolves of your choosing and get these two out."

"Gladly." Skylark's annoyed, frustrated eyes met his father's. He turned to the wolves beside him. "Boulder, Stone, let's go."

Rascal wished Ella could've been in this escort. He wanted to say goodbye. Then again, it may be too painful to share some final words with his sister.

He spotted her sitting at the edge of the crowd. Her blue eyes met his, and she stared at him for a long moment.

Then, she bounded up to him and nuzzled his chest with her head. He bent and gave her a quick lick on the ears. She stepped away and gave a tiny nod.

"Get going!" Stone pushed Misty forward, hard. Rascal shook his head and quickly raced to her side.

The three Stone Hollow wolves led them out into the cold air. Rascal felt irritation surge through him. He and Misty could leave themselves; without an escort.

When they finally reached the border, Rascal remembered something he wanted to tell Howler. He turned to Skylark.

"Could you tell your father that the Packs will be meeting at Crossed Streams tomorrow?"

Skylark looked as though he would bite off Rascal's head. He surprised Rascal when he said: "Fine. But I've got my eye on you, Rascal." He glared suspiciously at Rascal. A heartbeat later, he whipped around, flanked by Boulder and Stone, returning to their Pack.

Rascal and Misty were left on the border, staring out across the hills they needed to climb in order to get home.

Will the Packs be ready for the final battle? Can Rascal and Misty lead the Packs into battle? Or will their home be lost forever?

Thank you for reading!!! If you enjoyed, comment, vote, and lemme know what you think!!!

Sincerely,

15thSoccerGirl