Chapter 11

Misty howled as she launched herself into the hunt. Her legs pumped, heart pounding, tail swaying. She narrowed her bright green eyes as she focused on the elk ahead of her. A streak of brown fur caught the corner of her eye. She knew it was Jumper.

Misty had been ordered to take Rascal out on a hunt. To test his skills and see what he is able and unable to do. She also brought Jumper and Isaac along with her. Her cousin and best friend were among some of the best hunters in the Pack.

Misty swerved to cut off her target. It bellowed in surprise and spun around to race the other way. It gained speed and pulled away from the wolves slowly. That didn't stop them from their hunt. Misty glanced over to see Rascal catch up. His strong legs pulled him closer with each stride.

Isaac was coming up on the left flank. And Jumper ran alongside Misty. The four couldn't keep this pace up much longer. The elk turned and began to head for the creek.

Oh great...Misty thought with a snort.

Isaac tried to block its path, but it barely avoided him and slid smoothly into the creek. Standing there, it seemed to be mocking the wolves or daring them to try.

Misty stopped on the sandy bank. Her chest heaved and felt like it was on fire. She glanced at her companions. They were panting with their tongues hanging out. She noticed the way their legs shook with exhaustion. But she shook her head fiercely. No! I will not let my Pack starve!

She turned to look at the males. "Well?"

They all shared a confused look. Jumper asked. "Well, what?"

The she-wolf rolled her eyes. "Our Pack needs food."

Isaac narrowed his eyes. "And?"

Misty scoffed. "We're going to get the one that we started off with in the first place."

She saw Rascal stare at her,amazement in bid eyes. "I'm in. But..." He glanced at the swimming elk. "How do you suppose we get that out of the water?"

"Just let instinct take over. You'll be fine." Without giving them time to argue, she leaped into the water. It was up around her paws. But as she got deeper, her legs left the riverbed. Then, of course, her legs were shorter than the wolves that swam beside her.

The elk's eyes widened and it scrambled to escape the hunters. Too late. The wolves each swam to a side. Misty at its front. Jumper at the back. Rascal left and Isaac right. They closed in slowly. Misty paddled against the strong current. Her legs churned the water and the elk stared at her with horror now.

Misty wondered how deep the water was. She gazed at her prey curiously, before deciding what to do next. She needed to leap in order to get a good grasp on her prey. Just as she was a few strides from the elk, she submerged herself underwater, taking a deep breath before she went under. She was terrified at first when she didn't feel the creek bed beneath her paws. But forcing deeper, she found it. Then with all of the power in her hind legs, she boosted herself up, breaking the surface, and digging her fangs into the elk's soggy fur.

Around her, her Packmates came to help her out. Rascal strongly pushed forward until he could somehow grasp the elk. Jumper and Isaac rushed in and it broke out in a frenzy. The elk tossed and splashed with its long legs. The wolves held on tight as their prey whipped and thrashed helplessly in the water.

Misty was kicked away. Then, before she knew it, was being shoved underwater by the elk's powerful hooves. Its forelegs held her down. Misty fought the panic rising within her. She wriggled and kicked out with her legs. Her heart was thudding wildly now. She felt the need for air. Her lungs burned and ached for the freshness of the air above her.