Chapter 41

Chapter 41: Avi

Biters...Biters are everywhere. I've never seen a horde as huge as this. There must be hundreds, maybe even a thousand of them who are entering the camp.

I race back towards the building that Nikki is in. When I get to her cage, I try to unlock the door, but notice a lock on hers, one that needs a key and not a code.

"I'll get you out, Nikki. I promise." I look into her eyes for a few moments before sprinting back outside.

Who has the key?

My mind reels with all the possibilities and I scream in frustration. My only reaction is a lot of zekes looking my way with hunger infested eyes.

I grab my hair and pull a little, as if this alone will help me with all my problems. Of course it doesn't work and I'm left with a slight headache.

My eyes maneuver over everything that moves, hoping to catch a glance of any man with keys.

Then I think of the man who brought her back to the cages. He must've put the lock on. Hopefully he has the keys.

I dash to an unknown building and open the door. There's no one in sight and I I don't have time to scavenge for him, so I leave and try another building.

The zekes are limping towards us slowly, and every step closer means less time to escape. But I won't leave without Nikki, and if I have to stay for her, I will.

I hear my name called out and I look over my shoulder. Nikki has been freed and she runs towards me with her arms stretched out. I bend down and she fills my arms, kissing her head and rocking her back and forth.

A whirling sound, something that is loud and powerful, sounds above our ears. I know that sound, but I can't really remember the name of it.

I glance up and everything slow down until I can make sense of everything. A helicopter is flying above and men are shooting down at all the infected with military style guns.

A hand touches my shoulder and I twist myself so that I am protecting Nikki, who stands behind me. She pulls onto my shirt until I bend down for her to whisper something in my ears.

"He unlocked my door." She speaks with gratitude and a little bit of attachment.

I look at her with a slight smile. Did she like Aiden?

Aiden smiles at me, just a slight upturn of the lips that has my stomach swirling in a good way.

I hear running footsteps. They are uneven as if they have a large limp. I turn and spot Marlowe making her way towards us.

I gasp and take off toward her, enveloping her in my arms, sobs escaping my lips. She remains stiff and says nothing. I look into her face, which stays blank without any emotion.

Blood runs down the corner of her mouth, and the left side of her face is badly bruised.

"What did they do to you?" I say out loud and instantly regret it. I flinch when she stares into my eyes, the fire burnt out.

"It doesn't matter. Let's get out of here." She walks toward the helicopter that has landed. Men in military clothes hustle out of the flying contraption and encourage us to get inside.

"What about all the other women?" I ask one.

I cannot see his face because he wears a huge mask and glasses. I am able to see the frown that glistens his mouth.

"We'll come back for them." He shouts over the helicopter's loud whirring. He ushers me inside and straps me into the seatbelt. I grab the headphones from his hands, my hands trembling as if I am freezing.

A hand covers mine and I look over at Aiden with a sad grin. He pulls me into his arms and I can't help but feel safe and secure.

I glance at Marlowe and she remains stiff and emotionless.

I want to reach out and touch her, to comfort her, but I know there's nothing I can do to protect her from what she is feeling.

Instead, I hold onto Aiden and grasp Nikki's hand.

We are safe for now, even if we are not all really here. Marlowe changed at the camp and Easton is far away.

I don't know if he's alive, but I do know that if anyone can make Marlowe feel safe again, it's him.

I watch as we leave the small camp, watch as the zekes overrun the buildings. I shiver when I hear the screams, all coming from all the women we could have saved.