Chapter 25

Chapter 25: Marlowe

We decide to have two people on watch, and to rotate throughout the night. Jon is first, Toni second, I'm third, Easton is fourth, and Avi is last.

We had decided to stay four days the first day, to let things outside calm down. We have mostly been exploring the mall and talking about ourselves. Tonight is the second to last night.

I pick up all my weapons and put them under the soda machine when no one is watching. Although I have gotten to know most everyone else, I still don't trust Toni. He is cocky and extremely flirtatious.

As I walk back to the front of the store, I notice a reflective surface on the left side of the store. I tip toe closer to investigate, and discover they are only loading docks for storage trucks and such. I wander back to the top level afterward.

We sleep in the mattress store. Although dirty, the beds are comfy, but the room is freezing. One window has a crack in it and allows a gusty wind in, chilling the entire room. We have laid several mattresses on the ground in a row, not wanting to be far apart. I have strategically chosen the mattress on the end, because if there is an emergency it will be easier to escape, and I don't have to lay in between people, smelling them and hearing them snore. However, Easton ruins my plan when he puts his mattress on the end of mine. I almost get angry with him, but I can't stay mad at his smiling face. We all settle down and sleep almost instantly tonight.

My heart races as I try to hold the door shut with my feet. They're out there, Mom and Dad. But it's not them, it's the infection. Right?

Avi sits beside me, trying to hold the door shut as well. She whimpers in fear. Dad's hand reaches in and I can see his wedding ring, still too tight, in the same place it's always been. They finally stop, after two loud bangs. We cautiously slide the door open.

My parents stand beside each other, smiling. They are there, but have lost the sores and usual characteristics of the infected. "We're so proud of you, Marlowe." My dad says, grinning in his way. "You're so brave."

My mom holds out her arms and I almost run to her. "I thought I'd lost you." I cry. I turn to Avi. She smiles at us happily.

Then her eyes begin to bleed. Black, thick blood runs down her face and out of her mouth, and sores develop all over her. I look back at my parents for their help, but the same has happened to them. They all begin growl and moan, closing in on me. Their yellow finger nails dig into my skin, and I let out a strangled scream.

I wake up with a gasp, sitting upright. I am sweaty and tears form at the corner of my eyes. Easton sits on the corner of my bed and shushes me. "Shhhh. It's ok. You were dreaming." Avi looks on, worried, with an annoyed Toni. No one else is awake.

"It---it was you... And you....And my mom and dad, they were---they were there and..." I stammer. Despite my best efforts, tears stream down my face and I am still breathing quickly. It seems not enough air can ever get to my lungs before the next struggled breath, and I am hyper ventilating.

"Shh. Hey. Hey look at me." Easton says calmly. "You're here. Avi's here. You're okay. Take a deep breath." I try, but it doesn't work. I can hear the infected downstairs banging on the door, and my confidence in the door drops. This only makes it worse.

Easton wraps his arms around me so that my head leans against his chest. My tears soak his white t shirt. The steady thump thump of his heart calms me, and I pace my breathing with his heart beat. "That's it." He says. He smiles softly at me. "I'm going to go get some pillows." I nod, trembling.

He, Toni and Avi talked in hushed voices. I can still hear them, although I can't tell them apart.

"No, she's never done this before. She usually sleeps so quietly! Maybe I should talk to her...Figure out what is bothering her."

"Are you joking? She is literally the quietest person I've ever met, how are you supposed to talk to her more."

"She's not quiet if you listen to her."

"She's loud as hell when everyone else is trying to sleep." A hard slap. "Ow, dude, what the hell?"

Easton returns a few minutes later. I still haven't managed to calm my trembling. Easton slides me over a few inches and squeezes his huge body onto the small mattress with me. Avi eyes him suspiciously, but waves it off and mutters, "Toni, you and I can split her watch."

Easton faces me, and runs the back of his hand along my cheek bone. His other hand holds mine in it, keeping it from trembling. My eyes grow heavy, and I lean in closer to him, breathing in the fresh scent of his new shirt. I drift off, and sleep fitfully. But when I wake up, Easton is there, and holds my hand.