Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Avi

"Marlowe, are you ready." I bounce lightly on my feet as I walk back to the barn, about ten minutes after Marlowe had left to get everything set. The food was so delectable I could cry, but too much had already been shed over the few days.

I halt, my feet frozen in mid-step when I observe what's infront of me. Reyes and Marlowe are shaking hands, and Marlowe doesn't seem to hate the man as much as she did yesterday. Maybe it was just stress...

"Glad to see we're all happy. What's going on?" I ask as I make my way towards the place I made my bed. Marlowe and I carried blankets, thin ones so our packs aren't that heavy, and small pillows that have long lost their softness and airiness, so now, we sleep on what feels like narrow cloths.

I notice now that the barn was full of horses and a few pigs and cows. My stomach twists in a revolting way because I have eaten one of the few beings that ware alive on this cursed land, and yet, I am very jovial because I actually have a chance to have some pork chops and a nice hamburger again.

My euphoria turns into a sadness almost as bad as depression as I soon realized that we are leaving Reyes's farm and we are never going to return.

"You sure you can handle yourselves out there? I hear it's gotten pretty bad..." Reyes gazes at us with what I think is a deep apprehension.

I grin at him, hoping to ease some of his worries. "Don't wet yourself, old man. We are two tough girls that are desperate to live until we can finally drink..legally."I laugh loudly, finding my words to be hilarious, but Reyes just frowns like I said the worst thing I possibly could. And, believe me, I can say far worse.

"I hope you don't drink, even if you get to that age. These times are hard and I don't want two girls like you to succumb into this pit of depression, ya hear? I want you girls to survive as long as you possibly can."

Marlowe and I both nod so fast, I feel like I am getting major whiplash.

"Good." He looks back at us, now becoming serious, well, even more serious. "How bad is it, exactly, out there?"

I glance at Marlowe, wondering if we should spill what we know. Her eyes flash with an emotion, but it was gone before I could see what it was.

"It's pretty bad. Zekes ate all over the place, but supplies are still good to take." Marlowe mutters quietly.

"Zekes? What the hell are those?" Reyes starts to pace quickly, worry crossing over his face. "If those things are evolving into different...things, we're all doomed.

"It's what we call...those things." I answer. "We think that's better than calling them what we actually think they are."

Reyes's eyes pierce my soul as he says, "And that is...?"

"Zombies."