Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Avi

"Follow me and obey my every command. I say it, you do it." Reyes states, not even bothering to see if I follow him into the store. I watch his back as he walks, his shoulder muscles bulging under his grey, under armour shirt.

"Yeah, sure." I mutter quietly, but I'm not really sure I would keep that promise. I won't run if he's in danger and needs my help.

Reyes seems to hear my doubt and twists his neck so he could deep into my eyes. "You do whatever I say without hesitation. If you don't, I will not take you out on a run ever again."

I glare at him as I walk. "What if you need my help? What if you tell me to stand down and you die? What if I save you? Then will you?"

Reyes turns back and I can practically see him roll his eyes. "Listen to my commands, Avi. "

"Don't wet yourself, old man. I'll do whatever you say."

"Good." He hands me the weapon he spent training with me for the past eleven weeks: a crossbow that was practically made for me.

It was lightweight, yet powerful. I can hit a target one hundred yards away and barely miss what I am aiming for. It is black with gold etching that swirls into a dramatic design that makes me speechless.

Reyes had said that I am a natural when we first started to use it. It is almost like using a bow, I just pull a trigger instead of releasing the bow string.

I place my quiver filled with many arrows to use in case we ran into some trouble indoors onto my shoulder and tighten the leather strap until it hangs loosely around my chest.

I then take the time to check out how big the store is. My steps faltered when I observed my surroundings. The store is like a mini mall, with two stories. The bottom is filled with food and medicine. I can hardly see what the top floor has, but I spot some clothing.

"I'm going to check out the top floor..." I murmur, glancing at Reyes for permission. When he nods, I move to the stilled escalators and slowly tread up the stairs.

"Shout if you need me," Reyes mutters loudly then turns on his heels and treads to the food department.

I watch his as I ascend then gaze in awe at the clean clothing hanging on the hangers. I am never usually the type to shop for a lot of clothes, but the thought of actually wearing something new really excited me.

My boots are worn out and I think that Marlowe may need a new pair too.

My eyes catch on some camouflage, skinny jeans. I change into them and grab a white tank top to try on.

I glance around to see if Reyes is close by and grasp a leather jacket to put over the top then walk, barefooted, into the shoe department where I find black army boots that have a thick sole.

The new clothes make me feel fresh and sort of alive again, like finding new things reminds me of what it was like before the collapse.

I quickly stuff another outfit into the bottom of a pack that I spot on the other side of the aisle, trying to make room for more important things. I grab some boots,ankle length, but they are brown and purposely made to look worn out and faded. I remember a trend in the past where faded jeans and other clothing items were worn a lot, but I don't really get the idea now that every thing got destroyed and nothing else seems to matter but to survive.

I spin on my heels, cross bow at the ready, when I hear moans of the infected. I hold in a gasp at the sight of the creatures, their skin decayed to the point it was falling off the bone. A black goo escape the wounds, almost as if that is their blood poisoned. The smell is revolting, I want to gag every time I breathe in.