Chapter 23

Chapter 23: Marlowe

We continue walking when the question suddenly pops out.

"What were you guys doing on the street?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"We were on a supply run, getting some stuff for our camp. We found that family hiding in a grocery store. This ambulance sped past us really fast, and we didn't even notice a group of the infected. We were heading out of the city when we ran into that horde. They chased us back here, and then your friend let us in. What were you doing?" He asks.

"Our friend was taken by that ambulance. We were going to get some supplies here, then go after him." I explain.

"Him?" Easton asks.

"Reyes. He's like a dad to us. Took us in last fall. We held up at his house this winter. We were going on a supply run when..." My words fade out.

After a prolonged silence, he says, "You know, that was really nice. What you did for Vanessa. You gave her a little hope."

"I just didn't want her daughter to feel the same way I did." I reply.

"What's that?" He pries.

"Um...Abandoned." I force all the memories of the day from my mind. I have never opened up about this to anyone, not even Avi.

"When the outbreak first started, my parents were on vacation. They wanted to bring me, but I stayed at home because baseball tryouts were happening and I didn't want to miss them." He sighs. "I sort of feel like I abandoned them. Like if I had just gone with them, maybe we would be together."

Easton and I walk softly across the store. Occasionally he stops to touch clothes, but doesn't go any farther than that. "Sorry, I'm kind of a Debbie Downer." He chuckles. "You're so of easy to talk to."

"You are too." I agree. "I feel like I can trust you." I meant it as a warning not to tell anyone what we had talked about, but it sounds more like a compliment.

He smiles at me and stops to take pants off the rack. He looks at me for my approval, and I nod.

I wait by a rack of puffy winter jackets. Easton pulls a few other things off the shelves, then abruptly pulls down his pants and I turn around, embarrassed.

"What, are you afraid to see me naked? I don't care, you can look." He says.

"No thanks." I answer.

He laughs, then asks, "How do I look?"

I turn around, with my eyes still covered. "Are you dressed?"

"Yes!"

He is wearing ridiculously large overalls with a camouflage pattern and orange rain boots.

"Great. You are so incredibly attractive looking. You could be a model." I giggle.

"Look! We can match!" He throws a similar pair of overalls at me.

I laugh. "No, I don't think so. We need to get back soon. How about you wear it?"

He looks disappointed but brightens up when he spots a khaki hat with large ear flaps. He is so relaxed, and fun. I wish I were like that.

He trudges over to me and puts it on my head. "If you wear this hat the rest of the day, I will wear these overalls ." He challenges me, then looks at me expectantly. I can't say no to his bright eyes and grin.

"Oh, fine!" I sigh jokingly.

We walk back and exchange stories from before the collapse. Easton's face gets so animated when he tells stories. It's almost like he's reliving them. He makes me remember what it was like before.

I almost have forgotten about Vanessa when I see her husband crouched over her. The fever has probably set in.

"Nice hat." Avi gloats.

"Nice face." I comeback.

"Dude," Toni laughs. "What the hell are you wearing?"

"What, you don't like it?" Easton pretends to look hurt. "Well, then I guess I'm bunking with her tonight." He nudges me." Marlowe likes it." I snicker nervously when he hangs his arm around me.

The infected have grown in numbers and bang on the door, groaning and slapping loudly. The dimming light reveals a pale Vanessa, who's eyes have closed for a final time.