Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Avi

I groan, my eyes puffy from crying silently last night. I'm tired of Marlowe trying to make decisions for me.

She needs to stop acting like a mom.

My mind wanders to a few weeks before the outbreak. My real mom had never been home, except to bring guy to her bedroom. My room was right by hers, and the sounds I heard coming through the walls made me want to kill myself.

The night before everything spiraled out of control, I called Marlowe to ask if I could stay at her house.

I had packed and walked out the small, dark apartment when my mom walked in, drunk as she usually was.

"Where are you going? I never said you could leave. The kitchen...is a mess!" She slurred, her words jumbling together as she stumbled through the doorway.

"I'm staying at Marlowe's for a few nights." I mumbled, looking at the ground, trying to blink the tears away.

"I didn't say you could. Go clean up. We're having company tonight." She smiled as she clumsily staggered into her room.

My eyes followed her, and disgust filled my stomach.

Ever since I was eleven, after my dad died, she had brought home men and drank during the day.

I had let her push me around for 4 years, but tonight it was going to end.

I didn't hesitate turning the knob and swinging it wide open. A somewhat handsome man stood surprised, his eyes wide as he looked at me.

"She's all yours." I spoke, my words filling with happiness with each syllable. "Have fun!"

I didn't even look back.