Chapter 29

Chapter 29: Avi

I've been sitting in the back of the truck for hours, glaring at everyone.

"Let me go on this run! Toni said its just a sprain, so its not that bad!" I argue, trying convince everyone that I am able to take care of myself.

Toni looks at me funny. "Hey, I said it could be a sprain. I don't know officially, so if you walk on it, and its more than a sprain, you can seriously injure yourself. And we're just going for some food, it should be quick."

I fold my arms over my chest and scowl up at him. I am sitting on the ground because everybody thinks I shouldn't even stand.

"And maybe some crutches and some pain reliever" Marlowe says, hoisting her pack over her shoulder. She prepares her pistol and places the silencer on it. She grabs her knives along with the hunting knife Reyes gave her.

"I. Can. Walk." I spit between my teeth, rage boiling my blood.

Easton stands beside Marlowe and takes a few swings with his baseball bat outside of the truck as if he's on deck.

Jon and Nikki are to stay with me, but they are sleeping in the front seat. Jon was exhausted and we decided to atop anyway. This just gives him a reason to relax, and after watching his wife turn and killed in front of him, I think he deserved some time to himself.

"Maybe you should stay, Toni." Easton pats Toni on the back with a half smile. "You're the only other guy here that isn't tired out of his balls. You should stay just in case something happens."

Although Toni doesn't look happy to stay, he agrees and plops down beside me. He glances over at me and winks. I glare back at him and continue to sulk.

"Take your time. I've got everything taken care of here." Toni closes his eyes, his face covered with a relaxed and smug expression.

Marlowe and Toni head out on their way towards a small store that has a pharmacy. They each carry a pack, but Marlowe's is a little bit more full than Easton's. The camouflage pattern on them makes it easier for them to blend into the dark sky.

I carve Reyes's name into the handle of my cross bow with my pocket knife. Tears filly eyes as I think about him and everything he's done for me and Marlowe.

Toni coughs awkwardly and I look sideways at him. "So...uh...who's this Reyes guy Easton talks about?" He says as if he has read my mind.

"Reyes...was...is...like a father to me. He taught me to fight and he cooked some mean breakfast. He had livestock so we were able to to have bacon and ham and sausage and beef. He didn't have chickens so we didn't have eggs or pancakes that weren't made from the box.

"He took us in last fall, but we were both reluctant to stay with him, even for a night. You see, the collapse had just started and zekes were popping up everywhere. We weren't very trusting, but something about Reyes reminded me of my father..." I trailed off, my voice cracking.

"What?" Toni turns towards me and grasps my hands in his. "You don't have to tell me if its too much."

I clear my throat to get rid of the sadness that has filled my throat and makes it hard to talk. "No, sorry. Its just that he died when I was young and my mother before...well, she was different, a better person."

"My family died when I was young too. I was an orphan for a long time and when I turned eighteen, I just left to find my own place."

We talk all until Marlowe and Easton got back, hours later. I learn that Toni was a quarterback and had a scholarship to go to the University of Alabama, then the collapse happened. He had a sister too, not by blood, and she turned and he blames himself for her death.

The more we talk, the less pain I feel in my ankle.

Marlowe gives me the medication and sets some crutches besides me. I don't take the medicine, not feeling the need for the pills if I'm not in any pain.

As we start up the truck and settle in, I smile at Toni and don't notice Marlowe glaring at him before drifting off into a dreamless sleep.