Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Marlowe

We walk past the stable. Reyes reaches over the door and pat a horse's side. I remember the framed picture of him wearing a sort of funny sailor uniform, displayed in his kitchen, two medals by its side.

"So... You were in the Navy? For how long?" I ask, trying to fill the silence.

"12 years. Retired after my second daughter started high school." Reyes' mouth curled at the edges. "Little Sarah." His smile vanishes and we keep walking.

She must have been infected or something.

Avi doesn't seem to get the hint, and questions further. "How many kids do you have?"

He looks at her for awhile, and replies, "Just two. Kira and Sarah."

I elbow Avi, and slide my fingers across my throat to cue her to stop. She still doesn't get it.

"How old are they?"

Reyes sighs, "Sarah's 21 and Kira's 25...Or they were...."

Avi presses on, "What do you mean?"

"Avi!" I scold.

"Nah, it's alright. You're a lot like Sarah, you know. Always asking questions..." He stops and wipes his forehead with the back of his hand. "Kira moved to New York a few years back. Heard that was one of the hardest hit places before the radio went out. And last I heard, Sarah was spending summer break down in Tampa. I guess I just like to pretend she found a boat or something and got out to the ocean. It's safe there. It's where I'd go."

"Why don't you?" I ask softly, kicking gravel off the path.

"Well, it's pretty safe here too. Until you get within town limits, there aren't any of the infected for miles." He explains.

Zeke from any distance isn't safe. I think to myself.

We continue walking to the edge of his property, where scraggly weeds and dandelions have made their home. "Now," Reyes says, breaking the silence, "I would be very grateful if you two would pull these weeds and clear the area. I'm thinking I will put up a fence here sometime soon." He holds a small shovel and a bucket. "I'm off to water the horses. I'll be back soon, okay?" He hands them to me as I nod.

As he turns to walk away, a pig squeals in the distance. He takes off toward the pig pen. I drop the bucket and sprint as well. Avi follows close behind.