Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Avi

My thoughts are empty, as is my scarred heart. What has the world come to?

Six months ago, half a year, the collapse happened. A new disease infiltrated the world and destroyed any living host it could get its hands on, or their mouths on.

As I tread along the dirt road, rocks crunch loudly beneath my boots. Sweat drizzles down my face and arms. I numbly take off my jacket, the dark color attracting unwanted heat. I tie it so it holds onto my waist tightly.

I look over at the only person I trust, Marlowe. She stumbles along the path, but does not say a word. She's tired and dirty, yet no complaints escape her mouth.

Stop babying me.

She doesn't want me to worry, and knows I'm stressed. My heart aches as I realize that she is concerned for me.

"Let's take a break." I whisper, slowing until she has no choice but to stop. Her long, dark hair is pulled into a loose braid, although there are several shorter pieces that have fallen out. Her dark skin glistens with a thin coat of sweat.

"They're attracted to sounds. We need to keep going." She mutters breathlessly, surveying the area. She continues down the worn path, not even glancing back to see if I follow.

I scoffed, "I'm not stupid, Marlowe. We're tired and hungry and we've been walking..." My words trail as I notice something behind her tall frame.

"What? What's wrong, Avi?" She turns and freezes beside me, her gaze falling on the horrendous scene in front of us.

My heart clenches and I drop to my knees, throwing up what little I had in my stomach. I sob loudly.

We are standing in front of a church, but the front yard is covered with dead bodies, sloppily wrapped in sheets that are stained with old blood. I get up and walk closer, noticing some have been burnt, and then I think...these were infected. The smell stings my nose and makes my eyes water. Everyone I breathe in, a gag takes over.

"Avi..." I freeze, my eyes observing another horrifying scene, one that will be burned into my memory forever.

A few of the infected, the ones that aren't burnt and completely dead, feast on a dead animal, relishing what is not decayed and rotted. Vile rises in my throat and my stomachs twists.

One turns toward me, it's eyes piercing through my entire being, filled with an everlasting hunger. I shudder and fall back, stumbling on the remnants of a body. I try to scramble away, but a cold hand seizes my arm roughly. I turn, terror already filling my entire being, not wanting to see what now has ahold of me.

And yet, a zeke has me in its grip.