30 (1:2)

Chapter Thirty (Part One)

                Three days passed by quickly and something close to uneventfully.  I mean, Harry and I did our lunch run at the diner again yesterday, and the day before we went walking in the city to get coffee at a Starbucks a few blocks away, but other than that, Harry spent some time with the guys, and Brady wanted me to join him in another interview (a radio interview, thankfully).  We were both busy.  And somewhere in the time span, I think Harry hung out with Katie Clemens again.

                Here’s the thing with Katie (the ‘thing’ is actually a combination of bits and pieces of information about her I’ve managed to gather from either Lucy, Brady, or the rest of the guys in One Direction since I first heard of her).  She and Harry were something of an item in the past, but like Lucy said, they’d only seen each other in person twice: the first time they actually met, and because Harry is the charming gentleman that he is, the day they broke up.  The entire relationship lasted about a month before Harry realized he was simply too busy for a girlfriend, and this all happened a little more than a year ago.

                Katie’s a year older than Harry; he ended up with her number accidentally.  She works at a coffee shop somewhere in the city that I’m not aware of, and neither is Harry, for that matter.  But apparently there’d been a guy she took the order of whom she found rather attractive, and she wrote her name and number on his to-go cup (he didn’t call), which later ended up in a trash bin at the very mall Harry had taken me to on one of our first outings.  Niall spotted it sitting on the very top and dared Harry to call Katie’s number, so he did.  He tried keeping his identity a secret for as long as possible, but she was a fan and hesitantly recognized his (honey and summer) voice. 

                For the next week they kept in touch through phone calls and text messages, which led to meeting up for lunch one day where Harry suggested they consider themselves an item, which led to more phone calls and text messages while he was away working, which finally led to him making a special trip all the way back to LA from wherever he was to apologize and end the sort-of-relationship.

                And I didn’t really care, honestly, about their past relationship or anything.  I’d just been curious, so I asked around.  I reasoned that it’d probably help me out in the long run with convincing Harry that it’s alright and actually encouraged that he make this thing work with Katie, even though it was beginning to appear that he didn’t seem to need very much convincing.

                Absentmindedly, I let out a bit of a sigh.  Nothing about that last thought was satisfying or gratifying in the slightest, and that worried me because if it wasn’t, then what ever would be?  What’s missing?

                I was staring at myself in the mirror as Lucy pulled another strand of the hair left to frame my face to the back of my head.  She did this multiple times, and I’ve yet to figure out exactly what she was doing back there; I just knew it was already looking like a masterpiece (in the front) and she had just started.

                In order to distract myself from everything I’d just been thinking about, I focused my attention on what was to come tonight.  I had been dreading this movie premiere for the last two weeks, ever since Harry mentioned it, and now it was here, and now I don’t know how I’m feeling about it.  I’m torn between knowing I should be dreading it because it was the epitome of all things I could possibly dread this summer, the one place where everything I hate about my brother’s lifestyle will exist in unison, the one thing with the one person after such an undeserved amount of time that literally grinds my gears at the thought, and between knowing I definitely don’t.  I don’t dread it at all.