24

Chapter Twenty-Four

                This one’s name is Brittany, or Brit.  She was pretty – maybe not as pretty as Charlotte was, but she was blonde and tall, and I could totally picture Harry with her.  I also didn’t particularly get along with her much, and this only made me believe she’d hit it off with Harry sure fire. 

                The day had been far too tiresome already.  It’s always been difficult for me to humor someone I don’t like for a long period of time, a declaration made evident every single time I spend more than an hour with Mr. Styles.  But Brit was different.  She was, simply put, a bitch.  And I think she expected that I was too, because she seemed to really be enjoying my company.  It sort of made me uncomfortable after a while.

                “Okay, so, I need a pair of shoes for my sister’s wedding, but like, they can’t be heels.  Obviously.  I already tower over everyone the way it is.  So they’ve got to be flats or pretty sandals or something; I don’t really care, they just have to look good with my dress.”  She realized, then, that I had no idea what her dress looked like.  “Oh, here’s a picture of it.”

                After scrolling through what must have been hundreds of pictures on her phone, she finally found the one she was looking for.  The length was admirable, a bit more than I expected of her – just above the knees.  It was a tight dress, and she was wearing it in the picture; I could see that it highlighted her every curve, and I couldn’t help a twinge of envy from burning beneath the skin of my cheeks and neck.  I began to worry that my face was turning red.

                The basic color scheme I was able to distinguish from beneath the glittering sequins and sparkles was silver, gold, and salmon pink.  I suggested that the shoes should either accent the pink or complement it, which would mean either a watermelon candy green or the same color pink.  She agreed, over-enthusiastic at my help, and we were off.

                I haven’t been to the mall since Harry and I were chased into Pac Sun by a mob of his fans.  It wasn’t that long ago, but it feels like it could have been a month.  This time, though, I’d invested in a sun hat that covered not only my hair, but also my face, and this way I didn’t have to wear sunglasses indoors.  I was hardly recognizable. 

                Brit had already taken me into several stores I would have never otherwise willingly entered myself, and now she was dragging me into a shoe store I didn’t recognize.  Probably because I don’t wear most of the shoe styles they sell here. 

                It didn’t take long for her to settle on a pair – that I didn’t find – and then find two more – that I didn’t pick out – that she wanted as well.  And before she could tell me about another article of clothing she needed for some reason I couldn’t care less about, I asked her to meet me in front of the hotel Harry was staying at in about an hour.

                Today was another one of mine and Harry’s bonding days, and to be honest, I couldn’t handle any more social interaction, no matter who it was with.  I wanted a nap, and I wanted one now.  I couldn’t deal with Harry’s antics today, especially not after yesterday.  So both Brit and Harry will think they’re meeting me at the hotel’s front doors, but instead they’ll meet each other.  I’m so glad Brit turned out to be someone I could see Harry with, because I already set it up with his security guards – the same ones who didn’t believe I was Brady’s sister a while ago.  They’d be mighty confused if I was the one to show instead after all the convincing I had to do to get them to agree with my plan.