11

Chapter Eleven

                “What were you even thinking?  Like, did you really think you were going to run out the front of one of my CD signings and not attract several hundred fans, Lexie?  I mean, I know you have your moments, but come on.

                My brother continued pacing before me, glaring at me every now and then but otherwise keeping his eyes averted.  His face was reddened like it always gets when he’s angry, and I realized that I haven’t seen him this way in a long time.  He hasn’t yelled at me in years.

                “Oh, and you want to know what’s going to be all over the media tomorrow?  Yeah.  I’ll bet you have a pretty good guess!” he added. 

                “Brady, I think you should just listen for a second – “ Lucy tried, but my brother was relentless.

                “It was all funny and even endearing in the beginning, Lexie, but now it’s just ridiculous.  You can’t just run away from public appearances like that.  It’s not how things work.”

                “Brady,” I sighed.

                There was a pause then where I wondered if he was actually going to consider hearing me out.  Although I should be the one angry with him.  He’s the one who lied.  But I guess what I did was pretty unforgivable or something, because I’ve yet to get a word in edgewise. 

                “No, I don’t have time to listen to you right now,” he finally said, stalking off towards the bathroom.  “I have somewhere to be.”  The door slammed behind him.

                Lucy cringed a bit and then looked over at me.  “You okay?”

                Sighing, I leaned back on the couch and closed my eyes, pressing a hand to my forehead.  Was I okay?  Not in the slightest.  “I’m fine.”

                “Well, then how was your run?”  I heard her snicker.  I cracked open one eye and glared over at her.  Her smirk wiped off immediately.  “Okay, I’m not funny.”

                “I just have no idea what to do.  Or why this is even happening in the first place.”

                There was a pause before Lucy responded.  I heard the shower kick on, and the thought of my brother being angry with me was suddenly making me feel guilty for some reason.  I don’t get to see him very often, and now that I’m here – albeit against my will – I shouldn’t be wasting our time together this way.  Even if it was his fault.

                “Just…” Lucy began.  “Look, take this for what it’s worth, Lexie.  I don’t personally know Harry Styles.  Never met him before.  But from the things I’ve heard your brother say, and others, he’s a pretty decent guy.  There might be a reason he lied about you two.”

                “Then why the hell didn’t he ask me first?” I nearly shouted.  My eyes flew open and I sat up, adjusting myself so I could face the brunette.  “Like, he’s basically using me right now without my permission.  I have no idea what’s going on; I’ve met the guy once.”  Twice, I mentally corrected myself.

                “Believe me, I understand why you’re pissed.  I would be too.  But I do think something else is going on that you don’t know about – something you should know about.  I don’t think he’d be that much of a dick to just claim he’s dating you for publicity.”