25

Chapter Twenty-Five

                “So, what does today hold for us, Harry?”

                He glanced down at me, stuffing his hands into his pockets.  I was gazing at him, awaiting a response, as he looked forward again and squinted when the sun’s glare off the fountain hit him right in the eyes.  Somehow, I remembered then that we were supposed to be out strolling.  I snaked my arms around one of his and walked closer alongside him.

                “Well, that depends,” he decided. 

                “On?”

                “You.”

                “How does it depend on me?  I usually don’t get a choice in these things.”

                An amused smile spread on his face.  “Well, if I leave you to use the restroom for two seconds, am I going to come back to some random girl I don’t know?  Or do you have other plans to somehow abandon me and send a different random girl to my rescue?”

                I rolled my eyes at that, ignoring the jab.  “Nah.  Today I’m all yours.”

                “Lucky me.”

                This was turning out to be one of my favorite publicity stunts Harry and I have pulled.  We simply had to walk around in the public park for an hour or so and look as if we’re having a good time.  And frankly, if Harry would be in a better mood, I really would be having a good time.  Though, I’ll admit that even with him in a sour mood, it beats the mall any day.

                “I like you better when you aren’t so cranky,” I frowned, bumping my head into his shoulder to get his attention.

                “Honestly, I’m not sure what you were expecting,” he admitted.  “I mean, I don’t even know what yesterday was all about, and you won’t tell me anything, so how am I supposed to act?  How do you want me to act today?”

                It ceaselessly annoyed me that even though he’s angry, he doesn’t sound angry.  He sounds like he’s trying to tell me something funny that happened to him yesterday when he clearly thought it wasn’t funny at all.

                I pulled him to a stop and stepped in front of him, working to keep my face at least half calm for anyone who might be watching.  This isn’t supposed to look like a fight.

                “Stop.  I’m supposed to be the moody one in this relationship.”

                He rolled his eyes, his expression suggesting that our quiet exchange was full of teasing and jokes to anyone else.  “We might have to start taking turns.”

                “Harry.  Sorry, okay?  I’m just trying to help you out; I didn’t think you’d get upset.”

                “How was that helping me out?  Instead of spending more time together to work on our outward chemistry, you ditched me and left me with some blonde who was more confused as to why you never showed than she was excited to see me there in your place.  Nothing good actually came of yesterday,” he breathed, his expression beginning to falter.

                “Well, it was supposed to help.  Good intentions aside, though, I’m sorry.  Okay?  Now cheer up or there’s no point for our little outing today,” I sighed, returning to our former position.