15

Chapter Fifteen

                “You know, you didn’t have to get so upset.”

                I blinked.  Was he actually speaking to me?

                “He didn’t know it was a touchy subject.  I didn’t get a chance to explain to them Modest!’s mishap yet,” Harry continued.

                My head shook slowly, hardly at all, though I hoped he’d notice the movement anyway.  I returned my attention to the city flashing by out my window.  The sun glinted off of the sideview mirror of a vehicle parked across the road on a curb and nearly blinded me.  “That’s convenient.”

                He exhaled long and slow, obviously choosing his next words with care.  “Well despite the circumstances and that particular incident, I hope you somewhat enjoyed yourself tonight.”

                Though I stubbornly did not respond, my nose wrinkled because admittedly, I did enjoy myself.  The boys were so funny.  In fact, eventually I had a hard time believing they were as famous as they were; they were so real.  If the situation wasn’t as it was, I could easily see myself willingly spending time with them.

                But the situation was what it was, and therefore I would never be willingly spending time with them.  It would be totally and completely unwillingly.

                Harry and I rode in silence the rest of the way, and I momentarily wondered if he was working very hard to come off as civil towards me.  That last statement was way too kind for what I deserved; he should be snapping back at me just as I was to him.  Or at least ignoring me again.  I glowered to my faint reflection in my window as I realized he was clearly the bigger person.

Once again, it was so unbelievably awkward that it was practically tangible.  So needless to say, I felt like I’d just accomplished some incredible feat when the SUV finally came to a stop outside Brady’s building.

                I opened my mouth to politely thank Harry, but he was already out the door, on his way over to my side.  I sighed.

                He pulled my door open and held a hand out to assist me, but I ignored it.  As I stepped out and straightened my blouse, I muttered, “You don’t have to get my door.  Ever.”

                He stared blankly at me for a moment.

                And after too long with no response and feeling like the biggest jerk on the planet, I added, “But thanks.”

                I left him that way as I was impatient and quite frankly harboring no more care.  If he wanted to stand there like an idiot, then I’d let him.  Quickly I walked, having to put in a conscious effort to not break into a run.  The excitement of being home – well, Brady’s home – and away from him was nearly too much.  I had to remind myself that none of this nightmare was over yet.  It was just beginning.

                “Would you just listen to it?”

                I swatted away the hand shoving a white CD envelope in my face.  “Brady!” I laughed, having to wipe a dribble of food off of my chin.

                He chuckled, his brows tilting inward as he pleaded.  “Come on!”

                “I will, just let me finish my noodles,” I insisted, shoveling another forkful of the chicken-flavored boxed dinner into my mouth.  “You know, this is the least luxurious meal I think I’ve had since arriving here.”