10

Chapter Ten

                My day of relaxation and being a hermit did not last long enough.  By morning, I was already missing the feeling of knowing that I had nowhere to be, nothing to attend to, no way to embarrass myself.  And as I dragged myself into the kitchen, where Brady had called for me, I found myself dreading whatever was in store for me this time.

                “Okay, here’s today’s game plan,” my brother stated, watching me slide sluggishly into a stool.  “We’re taking Lucy out for breakfast, and then she’s going to accompany us to a CD signing.  After that, we’ll drop her off, and then I have to go meet with my manager, so you can either go with her or come back here.  Mom and Dad are going to be out all day; I got them tickets to see The Lion King.  I should be back around supper time, but if not, don’t worry about it.  I’m not sure when Mom and Dad will be back, though.  They’ve got more plans,” Brady shrugged. 

                I raised a brow, but responded in no other way.  Honestly, I was sort of grateful that Lucy would be with us for a good portion of the day.  Perhaps with her along, I won’t be as bored out of my mind.  Maybe she’ll even be able to prevent me from doing anything stupid.  And on the plus side, at least I’ll always look good.  There’s no way she’ll let a single hair go astray on her watch.

                “So Lucy’s on her way, and you should go shower so that you’ll be ready.  We’re leaving in an about an hour.”

                “You know I can’t get ready in an hour, Brady,” I muttered, sliding back off the stool. 

                “Well, you’re going to learn how today.”

                I gave my brother my signature eye roll and slipped into the bathroom.  I made a conscious effort to shower as quickly as possible, but even still, it took fifteen minutes.  I left my hair to air dry, hoping Lucy will want to do something with it, and started on my makeup.

                I only did the basics, leaving her room to go crazy if she wanted to.  I left everything above my shoulders entirely under her control.  When she got here, she went straight to work.

                “Did you have an outfit picked out already?” she asked, pulling my hair up and running her fingers through it to tame some of the lumps.

                “Not really.  I’ve been in the bathroom basically since I woke up.”

                “Okay, good.  I’m going to pick it out, then.”

                I smirked.  “We have approximately a half hour before Brady wants to leave.”

                She waved a hand, and through the mirror, I spotted her rolling her eyes as well.  “Your brother can chill.  We’ll be ready when we’re ready.”

                When she was finished with my hair – some type of bun similar to the knot I’d done myself yesterday except better – she laid out several eyeshadow shades and gave me a few instructions while she went off to pick out my outfit. 

                “Do you wear glasses?” she wondered eventually, just finishing up one of my eyes. 

                “No, why?”

                Her lips pursed.  “They’d just kind of add to your look.”  Then she shrugged.

                Eventually, there wasn’t a single thing more Lucy could do to make me look any better.  Not that she’d need to; every time she finished working her magic on my hair, with my makeup, my clothes, I looked like a completely different person.  One who might be able to handle avoiding public humiliation on a daily basis.