1

Chapter One

                “Hey, Mom.  How’s it going back home?  How’s Dad?  I’m sorry I haven’t called in a while, I’ve been really busy.  Guess what?  I’m working with some really great people right now, and we’re creating probably the best song ever.  It’s about you guys, and Lexie, and everything I miss.  I can’t wait for it to be finished so you can hear it.  I guess it made me think of you today, and I decided to call.  If I don’t answer when you call back, just leave a message.  We seem to communicate well that way anyway.  Love you, bye!”

                That was the voicemail that altered my future.  Well, at least the next three months of it.  And I will forever hold a grudge against my brother for it.  Apparently, “It’s about you guys, and Lexie, and everything I miss,” means: “Please come spend the summer in Los Angeles with me because I miss you all too much to spend another second without you.”

                And now ten minutes into the private SUV ride from the airport to wherever my brother lived, I already despised LA and everything about it.  And this summer.  And my parents.  I’m most angry with my dad.  How could he give in to Mom so easily?  He never has before, and he knew exactly what this would mean the moment someone recognized me.  But I knew.  He gave in because he missed Brady too.  But didn’t we all?  And we were doing just fine.

                I kept my hood up as we exited the vehicle, having arrived at some hidden lot behind a large building.  There was no one to see me, but I could never be cautious enough.  I slipped around to the back of the vehicle to retrieve my two suitcases.  The SUV driver beat me there.

                “Don’t worry, Miss McAllister,” he said.  “We’ll handle your bags.”

                I was about to ask who “we” was until I noticed three other men, dressed similarly to the driver – khaki pants, sky blue polo – coming our way. 

                “I’ve got mine,” I told him, reaching into the open trunk to snatch my suitcases before he could.

                “Are you sure?” he asked.

                But I pretended I didn’t hear him as I hurried away, toward the door the other three men came out of.  My parents were chatting to the driver now behind me, taking their time without a single care.  I, on the other hand, just wanted desperately to get inside.  Brady hadn’t mentioned which floor he was on, so as I passed the last of the three men, I paused.

                “Excuse me.”

                The man, who looked remarkably young compared to the driver and the two who had already passed, stopped immediately.

                “Where, exactly, is Brady McAllister’s living quarters?” I asked, unsure if they refer to it as a condo or just simply an apartment here.

                “Fifth floor, Miss McAllister.  Would you like me to take your bags?” he responded, and even his voice sounded young.

                “No, I’ve got them.  And it’s Lexie.”

                He nodded once.  “Lexie then.  If you need more assistance, the doorman is at your service.”

                I wasn’t really in the mood to be polite, but I thanked him anyway.  I continued on inside, but headed straight to the elevator instead of sparing any questions for the doorman.  My suitcases hit the floor of the elevator with a thud, and I huffed a sigh, deciding they were heavier than I remembered.  Then I poked the button with a five on it and waited.