28

Chapter Twenty-Eight

                Distractedly, I lifted the sleeve of a top that looked maybe sort of nice, but nothing quality enough for a movie premiere.  I wondered vaguely if knowing what movie premiere we were even going to would be beneficial in choosing an outfit for said event, but then I didn’t care the longer I thought about it.

                And speaking of care that I didn’t have, this entire shopping trip is for the birds.  Lucy was clearly enjoying it, and I’d be willing to bet that Brady was even having more fun than I was.  But obviously.  I mean, I’ve never seen two people more meant for each other and totally blind to each other’s affections.  Leave it to my idiot brother and his apparently equally idiot hair stylist. 

                Stupid Harry.  If he hadn’t canceled his radio interview (that I was supposed to make a sudden little appearance in) to hang out with that Katie Clemens girl, I wouldn’t be stuck as the third wheel to these two.  I reminded myself that I should be glad because it’s possible I won’t even need this outfit I’m apparently shopping for; if he hits it off with Katie I’ll get exactly what I’d wanted since the very beginning of this little situation: solitude.  Well, apart from my family.  But I’d be out of the spotlight, at least sort of.  And before I knew it, I’d be home free.

                Still, I couldn’t help feeling a little irritated.

                It doesn’t help, either, that Harry had planned the perfect outing yesterday.  I’ve never done something as cool.  There had to be outdoor theatres like that back home, even if they were a bit of a drive away.  I had to do that again.  I had to show my friends.  And because it was so surprisingly not awful, there was this strange little part of me that just wanted to do something like it again. 

                For a second, I thought about how the last two things I did with Harry weren’t actually as bad as I assumed they’d be.  The stroll in the park was frankly quite enjoyable, and then yesterday happened, and to be honest I really can’t complain about spending time with him lately.  Sometimes, I wish we spent more time doing stuff like that. 

                But I’d never admit that to anyone ever.

                “Lexie, what do you think?”

                I turned toward the sound of Lucy’s voice somewhere behind me.  She was holding up an outfit to herself comprised of high waisted, light bleached shorts with distressed hems and a floral print and pink chevron crop top.  It kind of clashed with her skin tone, but I nodded anyway. 

                “I like it, why?”

                She beamed over at my brother, who rolled his eyes and began shaking his head.  “Because he doesn’t.”

                “It’s not that I don’t – “ Brady began.

                “You said you didn’t!” Lucy argued.

                “No, I said that we weren’t shopping for clothes like that.  We’re here for an outfit for the premiere.”

                “Same thing!”

                “No it isn’t, oh my God!”

                “Don’t even – “