Chapter 10

I hadn’t brought a bikini with me so I lay roasting in the blistering sun. Kade lay resting beside me also overheating however he’d taken his top off. I grumbled as I looked over at him. Guys always had the easy way out in some things and it infuriated me a lot.

“Kade hun. Why didn’t you bring any sun cream with you?” I clamoured.

“Skye hun. It was your idea to go to the beach.” He retorted groggily. “The sun’s a drug, soak it up and shut up.”

“Eh dude, I think you’ll find that you suggested it, so you’re the one obliged to bring the sun cream!” I huffed. Folding my arms tightly together, I turned away from him. My eyes wandered around to see frolicking kids enjoying themselves in the sand. I admired there carefree life. If only everybody had that; no worries; no regrets. A simple life.

Their strident laughter’s echoed through my ears resulting in the corners of my mouth to twitch up. I always smiled when I heard laughter. People played in the cerulean sea, spraying cold blasts of water at each other and I absentmindedly chuckled just seeing them. There were couples of all ages. Old and young having a walk down the pier because you were never too old or young for romance. Or so I was told and much less believed.  I peeked at Kade instantly, a sudden longing to enter the water growing in my heart. I was meant to be angry with him though right?

He was still stretched out enjoying every bit of sun coming his way. The way his tousled hair glimmered in the sunlight was almost magical. His defined back flexed as he moved him arms to his head for support. The muscles on them caused my eyes to enlarge in surprise because I hadn’t noticed it until now. He turned abruptly so as to transfer the heat onto his stomach. Or Pecs. I caught a glance at his six packs and bit my lip before hastily averting my gaze somewhere else. He couldn’t catch me ogling over him.

I sat up and brushed my locks away from my face.  A girl sat a few yards away from simply staring at us awkwardly and I couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable. She waved when realising she’d gained my attention and a wary smile rose on my face.

“Who’s that?” I saw her mouth whilst pointing at Kade beside me. Who’s that? I thought. Who are you? Out of the corner of my eye I noticed Kade place some sunglasses on his eyes clearly unaware of his surroundings. It was beyond me where he had got the sunglasses from.

“My friend.” I mouthed back. Her eyebrows perked up.

“Friend?” Without waiting for my answer she sprung up then staggered towards up. Staggering due to the sand.

“Skye, are you listening to me.” Kade’s words pierced through my thoughts. He pressed his hand against my thigh to get my attention so I rolled my eyes and looked at him.

“What!”

“Do you want to play twenty questions?” he ignored my temper and began dragging me closer to him.

“Hey there.” We both looked up together only to see the girl from before. She stood on a slight angle with a hand on her hip. Looking closely now I grasped how pretty she was. Unfortunately for me. 

Straight strawberry hair with green eyes gave her that alluring look. She knew she was pretty and she wasn’t afraid to hide her figure. That figure in the spotty bikini she wore. I envied her. In comparison to me, Kade was surely going to leave me for her. I wasn’t pretty.  I sucked in a deep breath preparing myself for Kade’s reaction.

“Hi.” He said confusedly. My heart thudded in my chest rhythmically like beating Samba drums. It was the only noise pounding clearly in my ears.

“What’s your name? Mine’s Kim!” She flashed a five hundred watt smile.

“Kade.” He smiled warmly back, “And this is Skye.”