Chapter 5

Kade’s POV

'Hey stranger! Could you please gimme a call when you get this Thanks......byeee'

The unfamiliar sound of a girl’s voice boomed out of my answering machine. I racked my brain for any sign of recognition then I realised who it was. The girl from Coffease. How could I have forgotten that voice of hers? It was like a beautiful melody to my ears.

As I replayed her message over again, I could only think of her. Her wavy brown hair as it cascaded over her slender shoulders. Those flushed pink cheeks that seemed like they were permanently tainted that colour. However, she still managed to blush properly. When she blushed, her cheeks blazed a fiery red that complimented her enthralling sea green eyes and full coral pink lips. That was a real blush.

Thinking of her wouldn’t help me though. My fingers itched towards the phone but I resisted. If I called back to early she would think I was desperate. And I definitely wasn’t desperate to call back; at least I thought I wasn’t. That didn’t stop her from violating the one day rule though, did it? I thought to myself feebly, still refusing to call. Keeping this thought in my head, I headed for the kitchen. All the thinking was starting to make me feel hungry and as if on cue, my stomach growled.

“I’m eating now so stop growling!” I shouted to myself. I wasn’t crazy; I just had a habit of talking to myself. It was one of the reasons girls didn’t stay with me for long. That and..... and the other thing. But that was an issue I didn’t like to talk about.

Pulling down my ‘Superman’ T-Shirt, I knelt to the tiled floor in an effort to find something to eat. Anything to eat. The cupboards were empty except for a few out of date biscuits. However that was normal for my house. It was normal not to find the cupboards filled with food because what could you expect from four twenty-two year old guys? I wouldn’t say it was untidy, even though it was always an argument when the word dish was involved, but more an organised mess. The cushions usually looked like lifeless lumps on the sofa. Clothes were usually strewn across the floor but it was what I called home.

“Honey I’m home!” someone suddenly called from the living room. Since I hadn’t expected anyone to be home, my head found itself slammed into the kitchen bench.

“Ow....ow....ow.....ow....” I grunted as I forced myself up. “Did you have to scare me Tyler?”

“Uh huh.” He hollered back not really paying me much attention. 

“We’re out of food.” I answered back.

“Uh huh.”

“Thanks a lot Ty, for everything!” I grumbled sarcastically, with my hand resting on the lump forming on my head.

“You’re welcome!"  He shouted.

“Do you want a slap Tyler?” I questioned angrily. My fingers absentmindedly ran through my black hair except it was hard because my hair was gelled.

“Are you a girl Kade? Only girls slap. Guys punch!” Tyler mocked. As I walked into the sitting room, my eyes lay on his looming figure over the Xbox.

“The Xbox is broken again.” He added.

“Your face is going to be broken in a second.” I joked although I was still feeling angry. I watched as he turned to lift an eyebrow and advanced towards me.

“What you going to do big boy.” He sneered.

“This.” I bellowed. My fist met his face whilst I wrenched his arm behind his back. I would have kicked his shin (and other places) but his bronze hair somehow blew into my face. I loosened my grip slightly to get it out of my face.  Unfortunately, he used this to his advantage, so in a matter of minutes, I was pinned to the floor with my head crammed under the beige coffee table. Great.