Chapter 9

-Skye-

 "This is not right Skye. Not right." Mick yelled. It was the first time he had ever shouted at me and it wasn't a good feeling.

 "I'm sorry Mick."

 "Sorry isn't good enough. I wanted you here early for a reason today Skye. I even offered to give you a pay rise but no, you turn your back on me. On your job." He continued.

 "I'm sorry Mick."

"Then to top it all, all you can say is 'I'm sorry Mick' as if that's acceptable. You're like a broken record that continues to repeat." He roared hysterically. My phone buzzed in my pocket sending vibrations up my leg. For a moment my thoughts lingered on laughing at the tickling feeling hence the grin appearing however my wise mind was against it. My face once again returned back into a grimace.

 "I'm sorry m..." I started before biting my tongue in time. My phone vibrated even more so I salvaged it from my pocket and peered at the caller Id.

 Best guy in WHOLE world<3

 "Look at me when I'm talking to you and put that damn phone away. Don't you care about anything I'm saying to you?" Mick's loud voice interrupted my thoughts.

 "Yes sir." I murmured, hastily ramming my iPhone back into that tight pocket.

 "It sure doesn't seem like it Skye." Mick grumbled, his voice gradually lowering. "I don't know what to do with you anymore. You're not as focused as usual."

"Mick. I'm saying this from the heart. I love my job. I seriously do. There's nothing worse than me losing it because that's how much I love it. My life has just taken a turn recently and I still haven't adjusted. I know that's not a good excuse for my actions and that I have been very intolerable lately but please. Please give me a second chance." I hung my head low wincing to hear the answer, braving myself for the no that was to come, for the pleading I would have to do in vain.

 "I.."I..." he stuttered.

 "Please Mick." I begged. In a matter of seconds I was going to be grovelling on my knees.

 "It's going to take a lot Skye. This is not a game. Somebody was murdered. I've put Calvin on the case with you so you can help each other but Skye?"

 "Yes." I said innocently. Inside my head all I could think was: Woo! It wasn't often people got second chances in a job like this so I was grateful for everything.

 "I need your full concentration. I can't have all this dilly dallying that has been going on. You hear me?"

 "Yes Mick I won't let you down." I beamed, unable to control my happiness any longer. I started walking out of the claustrophobic office Mick had but then halted. Without my mind processing the outcome, I grabbed him into a gargantuan bear hug. "Promise me you will never say Dilly Dallying ever again. And thank you." I said into his chest.

 Mick didn't know what to do so he patted my back awkwardly. "You can get off me now." He yelped as I squeezed harder. Chuckling silently, I mentally added 'Mick hates hugs' to my list of things to remember. Then I let him go.

 He exhaled a few times. "Did I mention Maya has done your workload for today?"

 "No." My voice sounded unhappy even to my own ears. I had wanted to redeem myself today and now I couldn't.

 "Don't worry Skye. You'll have plenty of chances to show off tomorrow." Mick chortled sending a wink my way. "You can have the rest of the day off but tomorrow you're going to work your socks off. Okay?"

 "Yes." I stood there unsure on what to do.

 "You can leave now Skye!" Mick enlightened me. "Bye." He called as I left the room.