Chapter 14

• Dedicated to Lois Lane

I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. It was around three and I still wasn't tired. My eyes narrowed as I saw Kade's collection of books. From Robert frost, William Shakespeare and Dean Koontz to JK Rowling, Mathew Arnold and Jane Austen.  

I awaited the familiar annoying ring of my phone in the morning but instead I was woken by light kisses peppering my cheeks and forehead. Opening my eyes reluctantly I smiled at Kade's childish grin and playful eyes. I was now wearing one of Kade's gigantic shirts and had my hair tied up. Best night ever. Well most of it.

Kade's bed was around the same size as my own one but I couldn't help but grimace at the thought of sleeping in mine ever again. I had the best night of sleep in 3 years, due to its amazingly warm comfortable mattress.

He showed me his shoes and I stole a pair, promising to return them in a while. He just raised an eyebrow and placed a plate of eggs bacon and toast in front of me per my request. After eating I went to the bathroom, ignoring Kade’s hungry eyes staring at me through the white t shirt I was wearing

Kade drove me home then went to the supermarket to pick my car up. I changed into my favourite scooped camisole and pinstripe trousers with the fancy one button blazer that Rosie had given me when I went to be interviewed two years ago by Mick. My phone buzzed from my dresser but I ignored it, grabbing the high tops and putting them in a beach bag to put in my boot then tugging on a pair of suede courts.

The ringing was bugging me. What if it was Kade? But I'm late and busy at the moment. But it might be Kade.

"What!" I yelled

"You need to come to my house now!" whispered Cal in a tired shaky voice. A shiver ran down my spine at the words. Something was wrong. Terribly wrong

The scene before me was truly astonishing. Calvin was leaning against a wall, his face green and eyes wide. Mick was sitting on the steps of Cal’s apartment with his head down and a police officer had his hands covering his mouth, trying not to puke. As I came closer I noticed the door of his car open. Oh no.

Inside were a few torn pages out of an old tattered book, words circled and underlined as well as scribbled out. Next to it was a single red rose with what appeared to be blood coating the thorns. A gasp left my lips but before I could breathe out I noticed something curled up into a ball in the far corner.

I screamed.

Romeo.

Very Dead.

In Calvin’s Car.

Wrapped with a bow.

All I could do was scream.

Mick started to talk. It was around four in the afternoon and we were sitting in his office. 

"Turns out the pieces of paper were from a book, By Bill Shakespeare. Romeo and Juliet. We had the Analyst check it. Our killer edited out the death of Juliet and instead had Romeo dying alone. The only words at the bottom were, 'Romeo has to go' and we have no links to anything like that. I'm sorry Skye."

 Nor did I.

I could never be happy. I lost my parent and my sibling. I lost everything I owned. I come here and I lose my best friend. I get a boyfriend and almost lose him. And my best friend found my dead dog in his car.

Mourning the death of my dog I left the building in silence. As I made my way to the car I felt the familiar feeling of being watched return to me. I swivelled my head and saw I was completely alone. As I walk towards my car I heard heavy breathing. My instant reaction was to turn around and kick whoever was behind me. 

I had a full grown man in a headlock.

"OOMPH" grunted the man. My eyes widened in realization.

"Kade???

I KNOW I KNOW. This one is like half a page on word. I'm trying to split the chapters up nicely. Not going well. Please accept this delightful cyber cake as an apology.