Chapter 6

We both questioned each other at the same time.

“It’s you.”

He stared into my eyes deep and long until I looking away. My cheeks heated up and from the corner of my eye, I saw an evident smirk on his face.

“Skye” He breathed keeping a straight face. Looking into his hazel eyes, the pain he felt was visible in them like a ship in open sea. “, fancy meeting you here.” He chortled quietly. I hung my head down in shame seeing that I’d nearly killed him.

“I’m so sorry I crashed into you Kade. I called an ambulance but they’re taking a long time. I even tried calling for help but no-one was nice enough to stop. You’d think seeing a body on the floor would halt them.” I rambled. He placed a hand over my mouth to stop me from talking. I had my mouth open so I’d accidentally bitten his hand whilst trying to shut up. Kade however, didn’t react to my clumsiness.

“Shut up Skye.” He grumbled “, and help me up. You owe me that much.” He directed a wink toward me then began hoisting himself into a sitting position.

“Here.” I placed my hand in front of him and using all of my strength, lifted him up.

“Thanks.” He grunted. His arm hung loosely on his head concealing a red lump that was forming. Or had already formed. I yanked his arm away and peered closer.

“Oh my god...I think I did that. I’m so sorry Kade. What can I do?”  I panicked, starting to feel claustrophobic again.

“It wasn’t you.” He whispered nonchalantly.

“Oh.” My eyes widened in curiosity to know how he received it. He rolled his eyes and pointed to his nose.

“Don’t be nosy Skye.”

I was about to answer back but decided against it. Biting my tongue I replied with “I need to take you to the hospital.”

“No you don’t. I’m fine.” He exclaimed.

“I have just hit you with my car. I need to take you to the hospital.” I repeated sternly.

“How many miles per hour were you going?” He quizzed.

“Ten.” I mumbled.

“Sorry?”

“TEN.” I barked.

“And what were you doing when you hit me?”

“Looking for a parking space.” I jerked my head to the side and motioned towards my mini cooper. It still obstructed the road but luckily no cars were queued behind it.

“I won’t die. You only knocked over. I’m only a little light-headed that’s all.”

“Here, I’ve got painkillers.” I ran back to my car retrieving my bag. Rifling through it now, I fumbled to find thedrugs always kept handy.

He opened his mouth to thank me and I would have heard him if there hadn’t been droning the noise of a siren.  Five paramedics waltzed out of the van and sprinted towards me.

“Are you okay? Where does it hurt?” They began scrutinizing me over.

“The patient is over there.” I gestured towards Kade who was now leaning on a lamp post.

“Where does it hurt? What happened?” They stumbled towards him only to begin questioning again. He showed them his head and the five of them together carried him to the van.

I stood there, feeling like an idiot as Kade was carried away.

“Bring Skye here.” I heard Kade order. I rolled my eyes but walked towards him without being asked.