Chapter 2

The distinct smell of coffee wafted up my nose sending me into eternal bliss. My taste buds were tantalized just at the aroma of it. Groans and moans of whining children, as well as the clattering of the coffee shop reached my ears, tempting my mood to turn sour. But I was in my happy place. 

It was the table that I always sat at- a kiwi brown heaven large enough to hold two people. Since it was stuck in an alcove, something I cherished about it, it was the idealistic spot to enjoy coffee. Except of course for one thing. It couldn’t drown out the annoying regulars that liked to enjoy coffee as well. 

“Can I get you something there?” A server approached me, her optimistic voice overwhelming. My eyes scanned the name tag that was pinned on her uniform. Kelsey.

“When did you start asking for orders at Coffease?” I questioned curiously.

“Since our new manager ordered us to.” She chirped her voice remaining bubbly. There was something about the girl that seemed, well fake. Nobody could be that happy... not all the time.

“Well then, I think I’ll have a double ristretto Venti halfsoy non fat decaf organic chocolate brownie iced vanilla double-shot gingerbread frappuccino extra hot with foam whipped cream upside down double blended, one sweet 'N’ low and one nutrasweet. Plus Ice.” I recited momentarily. It was my favourite type of coffee and it was bound to get on her nerves.

Her smile faltered and I was prompt enough to catch it before she plastered it back on. Score! I chuckled in my head. Somehow her smile reminded me of a constipated chicken. If that made sense.

“Sure thing.” She squeaked. As she walked away, I couldn’t help but watch her. Who pretended to be happy when they were clearly annoyed? Was she human?

“Make it quick honey.” I hollered, loud enough for her to hear. The stares of about 15 pairs of eyes found my face hence the blazing red trail on my face. She turned around and nodded her head stiffly. So she was annoyed. Maybe it was just her strange way of showing it? I lingered on that thought for a moment before changing to a different conclusion. She was just trying to be friendly.

 It was about 10 minutes later that I received my coffee. Through the whole of the time I waited, I became more and more agitated. It was because the clock was ticking closer to the time of my court hearing- resulting in a stressed out Skye. It was the only reason I came to Coffease, to soothe the nerves, however it didn’t seem to be working today. Well, I hadn’t received the coffee yet so who could say.

“Stupid, overly happy waiter.” I muttered to myself discreetly.

“Your coffee ma’am.” Someone bellowed. I looked to meet the gaze of a cute faced boy. He had dreadlocks but somehow seemed to pull them off nicely.

“Thank you.” I mumbled, briefly forgetting about my frustration at the waitress.

“Why you’re welcome pretty lady.” He flirted. I coughed feebly covering a laugh. Maybe a blush formed on my face too- it wasn’t like I controlled that part.

“Oh, don’t be modest, you can call me beautiful.” I joked with a wink. I wasn’t really good at flirting so humour was the only other road. 

“Well aren’t you a beauty then.” He breathed, a smirk forming on his pink lips. Not that I was looking at his lips. I wasn’t.....meaning to! Instead I tried focusing on something else. He also had a name tag and as I read it, I chocked on my own saliva. Stan- student- 17.

I felt like a paedophile as I looked at him now. And that was saying something seeing as I was a CSI.

“Do you want to g.....?” I didn’t let him finish before cutting him short.